Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting diagonal lines

Hi everyone,

One of my three projects right now is a tote bag. I am trying to figure out how to quilt diagonal lines which creates the diamonds. The tote bag instructions does not give instructions on this thinking that one will already know how to do it. It did make it sound like I am suppose to quilt it before I cut it. The part that is quilted is the top part of the tote bag which contrast in color and pattern to the bottom. I have the piece adhered to the batting and it is not cut into two pieces yet. They are supposed to be cut to 17X20....20 wide by 17 inches tall. It said to quilt it and then it said to cut it. I assume I could cut it and then quilt it but not sure. Anyway, I have this long piece and I started marking the lines starting the left top corner. I am not sure how this is going to look if I keep making the lines all the way. Will it be angled right? Maybe I should cut it into the pieces before I quilt it. Not sure why I am not getting this. Thank for any input.
    Last edited by HollyinWA; March 29, 2014, 09:02 PM.

Re: Quilting diagonal lines

I make a lot of totes, purses, etc. I would quilt first then cut to size. This is giving you room for the fabric to possibly shift during the quilting. I use painters tape to mark the first diagonal line. The cutting guides have 45 degree marks on them. After that I remove the tape (I stitch next to it) and mark the cross line, stitch on that the use the quilting guide and my walking foot to finish the quilting. Hope this makes sense.
    Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Ahamblin View Post
      I make a lot of totes, purses, etc. I would quilt first then cut to size. This is giving you room for the fabric to possibly shift during the quilting. I use painters tape to mark the first diagonal line. The cutting guides have 45 degree marks on them. After that I remove the tape (I stitch next to it) and mark the cross line, stitch on that the use the quilting guide and my walking foot to finish the quilting. Hope this makes sense.
      Ok, that makes sense why I do not cut first. Why painter's tape...because of the width? What are the cutting quides? Boy, sorry I sound clueless. Oh, maybe you mean the lines on the cutting mat? I did figure out how to make the first line buy using the cutting lines on the mat and my ruler. How from from the corner do you usually put the first line and what is the norm distance between lines to make the right sized diamonds? Also, they had a sample tote at the shop and this one has double lines. I hope you know what I mean by that. Not sure what you mean by marking the cross line. I assume when you say quilting guide you mean the bar that you can attach to the walking foot, right? Thanks so much!

Comment

quilt guide.jpg

This is a picture of a quilting guide.....do you have one of these and a walking foot?
        ~Kathy~

Comment

I use painters tape because it sticks well and doesn't leave any residue on the fabric. I didn't want to use the frixon pen because I don't wash the bags and it gets cold here and the marks will reappear at 32 degrees. I will take a picture tomorrow of how I layout the lines. Using my tablet now and going to sleep.
          Ann

Comment

Originally posted by bkthomas View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]72180[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of a quilting guide.....do you have one of these and a walking foot?
            Yes, I have one, I believe. It is not that long but long enough for this project, I believe. Thank you for the post.
            Last edited by HollyinWA; March 29, 2014, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I use painters tape because it sticks well and doesn't leave any residue on the fabric. I didn't want to use the frixon pen because I don't wash the bags and it gets cold here and the marks will reappear at 32 degrees. I will take a picture tomorrow of how I layout the lines. Using my tablet now and going to sleep.
              Thank you so much!

Comment

If you want diamonds that you go from corner to corner back from corner to corner from the side corner, right? Thank you.

Comment

You need to quilt the fabric first. Just cut it a few inches larger than the finished piece. If you cut it beforehand, when you quilt it the fabric won't stay square and it will also shrink up some. Your measurement won't be accurate for the size pieces you need. The only way to get accurate cuts is to do the cutting AFTER you quilt it.

Yes, corner to corner for the diamond (diagonal) quilting design. Start in the middle and work your way out rather than starting at one corner and moving across to the other corner, unless you've allowed plenty of extra fabric, batting and backing. Painters' tape works well for placement of the diagonal lines. The guide on the walking foot works fine as well, but for me, I'd just quickly mark them with a washable quilting marker or chalk. Trust me. If you follow these instructions you'll do just fine.
                  Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; March 30, 2014, 03:07 AM.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I use my frixion pen and draw the first line diagonal from corner to corner. Then space however far apart you like. I usually use the width of whichever ruler I am using. For example this is the lining to my new purse I just quilted.
                    purse lining 002.jpg
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                      You need to quilt the fabric first. Just cut it a few inches larger than the finished piece. If you cut it beforehand, when you quilt it the fabric won't stay square and it will also shrink up some. Your measurement won't be accurate for the size pieces you need. The only way to get accurate cuts is to do the cutting AFTER you quilt it.

Yes, corner to corner for the diamond (diagonal) quilting design. Start in the middle and work your way out rather than starting at one corner and moving across to the other corner, unless you've allowed plenty of extra fabric, batting and backing. Painters' tape works well for placement of the diagonal lines. The guide on the walking foot works fine as well, but for me, I'd just quickly mark them with a washable quilting marker or chalk. Trust me. If you follow these instructions you'll do just fine.
                      Thank you so much. So, even if I am doing diagonal lines (to make the diamonds) I can start from the middle. I have only been concentrating on the starting at the corner so until I look at it from starting in the middle I am unsure right now how to get the line in the correct angle. I hope that makes sense. Oh maybe you mean start in the middle going from corner to corner like that poster said below?

Comment

Here is how I mark mine.Purse.jpgpurse2.jpgpurse3.jpg
                        Hopefully - the first is marking the first line, then I stitch 1/4" beside, then mark the second line (diagonal) and do the same. If you have the guide that was posted earlier you really only need to mark two lines. Your guide should follow the stitch line and watch the guide not your needle. I do check the straightness of the lines to make sure I didn't weave a little. I normally do 1-1/2" between lines.
                        Ann

Comment

Here is how I mark mine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]72231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72232[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72233[/ATTACH]
                          Hopefully - the first is marking the first line, then I stitch 1/4" beside, then mark the second line (diagonal) and do the same. If you have the guide that was posted earlier you really only need to mark two lines. Your guide should follow the stitch line and watch the guide not your needle. I do check the straightness of the lines to make sure I didn't weave a little. I normally do 1-1/2" between lines.
                          Thank you so much! I love that fabric! I will work on it in a bit. I do not have any tape that size I don't think. If I want the diamonds to be larger, I can just adjust my bar to the size I want from that first middle line right? I will ask my husband if he has any tape.

Comment

The width of the tape doesn't matter. You are only using it as a guide to sew next to for your first line. Then use your guide bar. Mine will only go out to about 2 to 2-1/4 inches. The only time I use something larger is on a quilt and then I will mark differently. My LQS warned me that the Frixon pens disappear when ironed but the marks will come back in the cold weather until the fabric is washed. I live in NY and we get really cold weather and I didn't want pink lines on my totes if they were outside too long.

I love this fabric also. I am making a purse for my SIL who turns 84 next month. Red is her favorite color. The contrast is a red with tiny white flowers and the lining is white with black polka dots. This is turning out so cute I think I am going to make myself one. I bought extra fabric which is good because it's not available anymore.

Have fun with the purse. They are fun to make.
                            Ann

Comment

I like to mark a diagonal line with a chalk ruler in both directions. After I stitch on that chalk line, I adjust the quilting bar whatever distance I need from that line and continue to stitch each line gauging my distance with the bar sitting on the sewn line. As mentioned, keep you eye on the bar, not on the needle. On a small project like this, you can start from the upper corner and stitch down the diagonal line (which will be the middle) to the other end. Make sure to check the straightness of your lines. If you sway off, every line after that will also be off.

Comment

Working...
                              X