Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harlequin Quilt: How to save the points

Hi all!
    Some time in the near future I intend to make a similar quilt as this one from the blog "Lily's Quilts":

Unfortunately, there is no tutorial on the site. Has anyone made such a quilt before? Which measurments for the half rectangular triangles did you use? How did you manage to not lose your points?
    I've done a trial run with 3"x6" rectangles using this tutorial: 100 Days ? Week of Shapes ? Tutorial | The Modern Quilt Guild
    But my blocks didn't turn out that well. Any special tipps on how to save all four points and get all same sized blocks?

Re: Harlequin Quilt: How to save the points

Wouldn't it be the same as half square triangles but a rectangle instead?

Comment

Yes, it is, but it's not the same angle (square is always 45, so it doesn't matter what size, it always fits). As the angles are more or less acute in rectangles, the seam allowances are somehow off.

Comment

I haven't tried this, but that was a great tutorial. The pics of lining them up just looks wrong, since nothing is matching at all, but you do get 2 of the HSR's out of each set. Are you marking both pieces and then lining them up? I know I would try to skip steps and it always came back to haunt me in some way. Or is your 1/4 inch seam not consistent on both sides of the line? Hope you get it figured out - I want to see your version!
        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

This looks really cool to do. Sometimes you want something different than a HST
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Very cool! Looks like those dot's are real important. I wouldn't do that if I was real sleepy or had some wine. lol
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

The Perfect Rectangle Ruler Makes Half Square Rectangles Easy | Quilts By Jen
              Mary
              SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I did some of those in a quilt I made. It's very tricky....don't drink!
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Hmm, maybe I was too tired yesterday evening... (but stone cold sober unfortunately! )

I'll try again tonight and see how it'll turn out!

Mary, thanks for the link with the special ruler. I might get that depending on how well my other experiments turn out. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with the bias and be faster by creating two rectangles at a time...

Comment

I love this quilt! Thanks Cat, now I have another to add to my "want to make" list....lol
                    Cil
                    A quilt is a blanket of love
                    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Hehe, you're welcome! Tell me if you figure out how to do them perfectly!

Comment

I looked at another tute and it showed the same way. I think it's just one of those 'have to mark everyone' situations. I'm liking that ruler lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

The thing about rectangles that is different from HST is the the Left and Right sides are not interchangeable like the HSTs. That' s kind of hard from me to grasp sometimes.

Comment

There is a free video tutorial on McCalls about how to do these 1/2 rectangles, as part of their Make It Your Way quilt along. Check out "Lesson 4 Diamond Block" on this link:

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/MakeItYourWay

Susan
                            ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

Originally posted by slamb13 View Post
                              There is a free video tutorial on McCalls about how to do these 1/2 rectangles, as part of their Make It Your Way quilt along. Check out "Lesson 4 Diamond Block" on this link:

FREE Quilt Along Videos from McCall's Quilting | Make It Your Way!

Susan

This is is a FABULOUS tutorial! Thanks for the link!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Working...
                              X