Jean quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jean quilt

So question for you experts. Would making a quilt out of old jeans be a project for a fairly new quilter or should I put it off till I have some more experience. Over the years I have collected jean legs when they wear out. I'm hoping I have enough. As well, would you suggest doing largest blocks I can get or should they be small? I assume I can mix colour jeans in as long as its all denim?
    Thanks! Diane

Re: Jean quilt

There was a really fun idea for a circle quilt made of jean fabric. I know I posted on the thread. I'll see if I can find it.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Be sure to use the correct needle for denim. I think that the larger blocks would be easier to deal with because of the thickness of denim but I have seen denim used in small blocks. You can mix the denim colors but I would suggest that there not be the stretch denim in the quilt as it can get wonky after it is washed and then it stretches back out.

I don't see why a fairly new quilter could not put a denim quilt together.

Comment

I couldn't find the thread, but this is pretty much the tute for it.
        Recycled Blue Jeans Quilt

If you google more images of denim circle quilt a lot of nice ones come up

Here's a good tool and tute.
        http://apassionatequilter.blogspot.c...ircle-rag.html
        Last edited by Hulamoon; March 29, 2014, 08:19 PM.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Jenny has a tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiL6jyQETkg

Comment

I did rag quilts with flannel and blue jeans for my grandson and son 2 chrismas's ago, not too hard, but like they said use the right needle for jeans, it's really heavy.
            Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.:icon_hi:

Comment

Schmetz makes a size 100/16 Jeans/denim needle.

I have made two jean quilts for my sons out of their old jeans. For my oldest, I cut out 8" squares and some included interesting pockets. I sashed it with blue bandana material and used red bandana for a border.

My youngest, since his jeans were smaller, I used smaller squares - 4 1/2". Every other block was two rectangles that made up 4 1/2" and every other was just a plain 4 1/2". It turned out cute. I backed it in flannel and used the left over flannel for a pillowcase.
              Vonnie

Comment

Here's another video that's quick and very simple to follow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlS1bxSe24

Here's her website. I like the denim apron she made. (the tutorial doesn't seem to be available but you can see how cute the apron is. http://www.inventivedenim.com/tutorials/ I also really like the denim tote bag on her Homepage.
                Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; March 30, 2014, 02:40 AM.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I made a denim and flannel rag quilt and the denim from old jeans is heavier than the denim off the bolt but it worked and really looks nice. I didn't use a heavier needle, but I should have---just didn't think of it at the time but it may have made a big difference in getting through all the layers.
                  sigpicCarolyn

Comment

If you don't use a big enough needle you can get skipped stitches - learned this the hard way!
                    Vonnie

Comment

Thanks for answers/links-most mentioned needles - I had already purchased needles for denim so hey first step right. I had planned to use pockets for a purse or something, I think it is a cool idea to use the pockets on the quilt too. Thanks!

Comment

I've made rag quilts with jeans, all cotton, no stretch fabrics. Used 14 denim needles as that's the largest my machine will take. Used a red & white woven on the back. The edges of the woven fray nicely like the jean material. I cut my fabric squares 8" and the batting 7". Use 1/2" seam allowance, a triple stitch being the best to secure. I used pockets, appliqued some squares and used photos. It was a memory quilt for my nephew. You can have lots of fun embellishing.
                        http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ean-quilt.html

I think Jenny had a jean quilt online but it was jean squares sewn together, not a rag quilt.

Comment

I think that a denim quilt is very easy! I did more like a crazy quilt. Cut the seams in the legs so they lay flat. Then just piece the flat pieces together to larger pieces. Once you get several legs together, Square them up into blocks or rectangles. Piece the larger blocks together. What I do is to press the seams open. Taper the ends of the seams to avoid a lot of bulk at the corners. Once you have the seams pressed open, use a decorative stitch to sew the seams open. I do not use any batting with a denim quilt. I just use two sides of denim. In my experience, if you use flannel or another fabric other than the denim, the other fabric will wear out on the quilt way before the denim ever does. If you use only denim, it will last forever! I typically do not use a binding, but use a serger to finish off the edges. If you have an embroidery machine, you can add some flair to the denim panels by personalizing the quilt with embroidery. I find that you do not need to actually quilt the pieces, with no batting, it is a warm quilt that works just fine. If you really feel uncomfortable you can always tack in a few places. Not really necessary though. I have kids using their denim quilts made for them as a child 10+ years ago and they are still good as new! Good Luck!

Comment

I went to GoodWill to get denim for a quilt and found some denim skirts. Much more material without the seams than the jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaLinda View Post
                              I went to GoodWill to get denim for a quilt and found some denim skirts. Much more material without the seams than the jeans.
                              That's a good idea...I have a stash of old jean legs that I have kept for seemingly forever - that is why I thought of doing a quilt. This does remind me though that I have a long jean skirt in the closet that I haven't worn in years. I'll have to check the weight of the denim to see if it is similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X