Batik Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batik Dilemma

I have a special cousin that I want to make a quilt for. She recently sent me a beautiful ceramic that her daughter made, and the finishes she uses reminds me of the watery silky looking batiks. This cousin is suffering from MS but she always reaches out to comfort and extend her kindness to others. I'm asking for suggestions for patterns for this quilt.
    I've made one quilt with batiks, and that was a kit. I love the jewel colors, but am befuddled as to the pattern. Any suggestions will be welcome! Thanks friends.

Re: Batik Dilemma

Try here. She has TONS of blocks and patterns for free. Quilt Blocks Galore!

Comment

As beautiful as the Batik are, I think just sewing charm packs together would make a great looking quilt. The simpleness of the square lets the fabric shine.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of the jelly roll quilt, but, the ones I've seen done in batik's are really pretty.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing. Simple works well for batiks. I always google first to get ideas. Just layer cakes look great.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...90.o7z-s3VlvYo

wedge.jpg

batik.jpg
          Last edited by Hulamoon; March 29, 2014, 12:43 PM.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am going to suggest you visit Keepsake Quilting... they have wonderful selections of Batiks.. patterns for them and pre cut... the colors a wonderful and their on line catalog has lots of good inspiration!!
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I recently used batiks to make my dh a quilt using the Yellow Brick Road pattern. It was a quick and easy pattern to make, and I think it worked well with the batiks. There is a picture in my album if you want to see it
              Lori

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                I was going to say the same thing. Simple works well for batiks. I always google first to get ideas. Just layer cakes look great.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...90.o7z-s3VlvYo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72167[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72166[/ATTACH]

The top one is Amazing!! How great it shows off those batiks, hope you found inspiration here

:-Debbie
                Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

If you think she would like something watery, maybe a sailboat batik quilt. This is my second sailboat quilt and 95% was batik (I threw in a couple cotton prints that just felt right). http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...lboat-two.html

Comment

I vote for Storm at Sea: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...11.nezSNXB0QRk

Here's the history behind it: Storm at Sea

And different places to get the free pattern: https://www.google.com/search?q=quil...+quilt+pattern
                    Last edited by Vonnie; March 29, 2014, 04:06 PM.
                    Vonnie

Comment

Thanks! You ALL gave me great leads. Lots to think about but at least I have a direction. Debbie those quilts are amazing. So is the Storm at Sea, and I will visit Keepsake quilting. Great Idea. Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on you.

Comment

I love batiks and use them and novelty fabrics most.
                        I like Jenny's d4p. The swap group used A black altered with batik, but you could use one that reads watery solid altered with one with more print. tube quilts are also an easy pattern and I have a pattern at home that uses one material for one triangle and strips for other and I like it more than just the strips. It's versatil and allows several layout options.

I've also used batiks in a Hard candy pattern and a chameleon quilt These are more time consuming but turned out great. The chameleon allows several layouts.

Comment

The pattern I made was terry atkinson's rock Candy , not card candy. I think the chameleon pattern was hers, too.

Comment

You can use any pattern with batiks. They can give a traditional pattern a modern look. I've done a log cabin, Lucky Stars (Atkinson Designs), several from Moda Bakeshop. My favorite from there was Sweet Menagerie.

Comment

Block in a block pattern looks really nice in batiks as well.
                              My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Working...
                              X