Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting stuck deciding on quilting design..please advise me

image.jpgimage.jpg
    This is the Summer in the Park quilt I made with a Salt Water jelly roll. It isn't perfect but I'm ready to quilt it & I freeze in fear that I'll destroy the quilt top with terrible quilting! If I was brave I'd quilt the entire thing in waves. The second picture is my FMQ practicing waves. My not brave option is stitch in the ditch around the blocks & do the waves around the border. And, I have NO IDEA what color thread to use. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Getting stuck deciding on quilting design..please advise me

If it were me I would get a stencil and use that to do the waves you really want. I am a big believer in stencils, otherwise I can get lost in 2 inches.
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Your waves are a good choice for the quilt. They look really good. For thread maybe white on top and for bobbib match the back color. Good lick with it, you will do awesome. Be sure to show us the finish
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Honestly, I think your practice waves look good. The thing about real waves are that none of them are perfectly symmetrical, and each one is a little bit different from the other waves. Just like a snow flake. So waves are a good choice. I used to be afraid too that my beginner FMQ would destroy the quilt top. But it never did. So they are not perfect. They are unique.

Another great choice for beginner FMQ is Angela Walters square spiral. If you can accept that none of the lines will be super straight
        this is an easy design that fills up space quickly. Here is a video

Geometric Quilting Designs - YouTube

A good thread choice to hid a few wobbly stitches for the colors in your quilt would be beige. It is a nice neutral blender.

Go for it Stacie. The way to get better is to keep quilting.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
          Honestly, I think your practice waves look good. The thing about real waves are that none of them are perfectly symmetrical, and each one is a little bit different from the other waves. Just like a snow flake. So waves are a good choice. I used to be afraid too that my beginner FMQ would destroy the quilt top. But it never did. So they are not perfect. They are unique.

Another great choice for beginner FMQ is Angela Walters square spiral. If you can accept that none of the lines will be super straight
          this is an easy design that fills up space quickly. Here is a video

Geometric Quilting Designs - YouTube

A good thread choice to hid a few wobbly stitches for the colors in your quilt would be beige. It is a nice neutral blender.

Go for it Stacie. The way to get better is to keep quilting.
          I love that square design! I'm going to go stare at my quilt a while and see where I could work that in. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
          X