Layer cake or Jelly roll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layer cake or Jelly roll?

Hello! I'm a quilt newbie but, I was wondering about something maybe you guys can help me with?

I found a line of fabric that I really like, but don't have a quilt pattern in mind or anything specific.

Would you choose to get a layer cake of the fabric line or the jelly roll? Which one do you find easiest to work with later down the road?

I am currently working on one of those fancy Jelly Roll Race quilts so I'm thinking I'll be up for something a bit more adventurous next!

Thank you!

Re: Layer cake or Jelly roll?

A layer cake and a jelly roll both contain about the same amount of fabric in yardage. That said, if the fabric you like has some larger prints in it, I would opt for the layer cake because it isn't cut up as much and the large scale prints don't get as lost. Plus, if you haven't done it yet, the Double Slice Layer cake pattern is an easy one to do and looks really impressive for how simple it is.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I would get the layer cake since you are already doing something with jelly rolls. You can always turn that into 4 charm packs as well if a pattern calls for that.

Also agree that the double slice layer cake is super cute and easy. I just finished a top earlier this week and LOVE it!
      Last edited by kmerfeld; March 28, 2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

If it was something I really liked I'd get both! Lol. Welcome to the forum!!

Comment

Jelly roll race quilts work well without a border. If you get a layer cake, most of the patterns will need a border to finish it off. With that in mind, you might want to get 2 yards of one of the prints to go with your layer cake, if that's what you choose to buy this time.

Comment

BOTH. We are fabric addicts and enablers too...
            Preeti
            http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like Layer cakes... so many patterns you can make with them.

Comment

That is a great question and something I struggle with too!! I do think I tend to lean more towards LC than JR in that particular situation, only because I still sometimes worry about sewing long strips straight - without the bowing. And yes, I have purchased both on at least two occasions because I just couldn't decide.

I used a cheap Walmart JR to do my two grandnieces quilts and they came out ok - but I haven't had the nerve to crack open any of my beautiful (and somewhat more expensive!) M* jelly rolls yet, maybe one day.

But I can attest to the fact that the double slice for the layer cake is both easy and fun! I just completed a top for my mom and she loves it. Now, I just have to get the thing quilted!
                Vicki
                Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Wow, that is the question for the ages! I'm still wrestling with that answer!

Comment

Oh thank you so much everyone! I think that is an excellent point about if the fabric has a larger print to it! I probably would have gotten a JR and then kicked myself latter for having only half a flower or something! And that's really great info about getting some extra yardage to go with a layer cake!

I'm glad to see all the enabling!

That double slice layer cake patter looks very cute too! I think I'm leaning towards the layer cake now!

What started this big debate today was the Wallflowers Jelly Roll that is part of the daily deal. I've had my eye on that fabric line for a while, but I just couldn't decide!

Comment

Working...
                    X