Batiks .... Pre wash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batiks .... Pre wash?

I know there are several schools of thought when it comes to the question of whether it is necessary to pre wash fabrics. I was told in my basic quilting 101 class that pre washing fabrics is pretty much a thing of the past. That the fabrics of today are unlikely to shrink or bleed color, as opposed to what was available in the past. I've been quilting 9 years and have found that to be true. Though i must add that I use a Dye Catcher cloth in my washer as a precautionary measure. Okay, my question is this: What about Batiks? Are they more or less likely to bleed color than standard 100% cotton fabric? I am making a Double Wedding Ring quilt for son & future DIL and the rings will be made from bright Batiks and the background fabric is a white tone-on-tone. Do I need to pre wash? BTW, these are good quality fabrics that I purchased at LQS.

Re: Batiks .... Pre wash?

I don't pre-wash my batiks but I know many others do. I have noticed once or twice that some of the darker batiks bled a little bit. These were just utility quilts for practice, so no big deal for me...
    Since you are making a special quilt with them, I think it might be a good idea to test little bits of all the fabrics first to see if they bleed. Once you know that, you can make a choice about pre-washing.
    Good luck & don't forget to post pics.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I don't prewash my batiks but use 3 or 4 color catchers when I wash the quilt.

Comment

I've just asked my quilting lady the other day and she said that she generally doesn't prewash her fabrics, but that she checks some of the fabrics (e.g. intense red ones) by dunking one corner into a cup of hot (=boiling) water to see if they shed colour. If they do, she washes them, if not, not. I think you could try that with your batiks!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
          I don't prewash my batiks but use 3 or 4 color catchers when I wash the quilt.
          Same here. And include a box of Color Catchers with batik gift quilts.

Comment

I'm just finishing up a quilt that is entirely batiks. When the fabric arrived it had a noticeable odor which I had not detected in the past with other fabrics. Perhaps this had something to do with the process by which batiks are made. Although I am in the habit of washing pretty much all fabric before using, it was not debatable with these batiks because I don't think I would've enjoyed working on the quilt with that odor wafting about! For the smaller pieces (I used a lot of fat quarters) I hand washed and for the large pieces (sashing, binding and backing fabrics) I machine washed. They came out great and ironed easily. Good luck with your project!

Comment

I am also working on a Double Wedding Ring in batiks for my daughter and future SIL. For the amount of work that is going into this quilt, there is no way I'm risking a bleed by waiting until the quilt is done and relying on color catchers. I washed all of my batiks in Retayne before cutting, and will us the color catchers after the quilting. I don't prewash non-batik fabrics.

Holly

Comment

Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
                I've just asked my quilting lady the other day and she said that she generally doesn't prewash her fabrics, but that she checks some of the fabrics (e.g. intense red ones) by dunking one corner into a cup of hot (=boiling) water to see if they shed colour. If they do, she washes them, if not, not. I think you could try that with your batiks!
                Thank you for this great suggestion. I did the boiling water test with all 12 of my Batik fabrics .... not one of them shed any color. I even threw a piece of white fabric into the boiling water along with each vibrantly colored Batik .... not a trace of color on the white! So I feel very confidant that I can go ahead and start my quilt without fear of non washed Batik wedding rings bleeding onto the white fabric background. As a precautionary measure, I will use a dye Grabber cloth when I wash the finished quilt and I will give the newlyweds a box of Dye Fabric Catcher Cloths along with their Double Wedding Ring quilt. Thanks to all who responded to me question.

Comment

Working...
                X