My Technique For Quilting On My Home Sewing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Technique For Quilting On My Home Sewing Machine

I have a technique for doing free motion quilting (also works well for quilt in the ditch) on a home sewing machine. I sew on a Babylock Ellegante 2 that does have more throat space but this would also work well on any machine.
    1. Divide your quilt top in sections that are a comfortable size for you to deal with. I like 20" squares.
    2. Place your quilt top section directly over a piece of batting that is a couple of inches larger all the way around.
    3. Free motion quilt each section or quilt in the ditch.
    4. Join quilt sections with A WALKING FOOT with a 1/4" seam allowance. You will see that the walking foot allows matching of seam lines and smooths out small wrinkles as you join the blocks.
    5. Press, do not iron, but use and up and down motion to flatten seams that you have joined. I use a steam iron for this.
    6. Spray baste the quilted top to your backing. Be sure and press the backing to the top with a steam iron. Using your walking foot, stitch in the ditch to join the backing to the quilt. Bind and enjoy! Works great!!!!!

Re: My Technique For Quilting On My Home Sewing Machine

Doing the quilt in sections is nice. It's getting the backing on a large quilt that's a pain when you have no room or patience. I prefer QAYG as I hate pinning and getting things smooth.

Comment

Re: My Technique For Quilting On My Home Sewing Machine

Not sure I totally got all of this. Do you quilt the entire quilt then attach the backing? Confused, here.
      Brenda

Comment

Working...
      X