Charm Pack for Chevron quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charm Pack for Chevron quilt?

Can I use a charm pack to make a chevron quilt?

Re: Charm Pack for Chevron quilt?

I'm going to say yes. There is a different method involved. You need to starch the squares heavily because it will be on the bias when you cut. So cut them on the diagonal. The sewing step is shown in this book. Scroll down inside and it will say zig-zag patchwork

Zakka Style: 24 Projects Stitched with Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy (Design Collective): Rashida Coleman-Hale: 9781607054160: Amazon.com: Books

And it will come out like this! This isn't mine but I like not having all the seams of the HST's and saved it for one day.

cheveron.jpg
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I did. Just put two charms together, mark a line diagonally on one of the charms and sew a 1/4" on both sides of your line then cut down the middle. Here's mine...
      DSC_0908.jpg

Comment

Nice job with your chevron quilt. Here's the one I made for my grandson last year. I really enjoyed making it.
        DSC03261.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          I'm going to say yes. There is a different method involved. You need to starch the squares heavily because it will be on the bias when you cut. So cut them on the diagonal. The sewing step is shown in this book. Scroll down inside and it will say zig-zag patchwork

Zakka Style: 24 Projects Stitched with Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy (Design Collective): Rashida Coleman-Hale: 9781607054160: Amazon.com: Books

And it will come out like this! This isn't mine but I like not having all the seams of the HST's and saved it for one day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72021[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for the link. I agree, it looks cleaner and it looks easier
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

My niece is expecting her fifth child...third boy.... In July.... I 'my thinking a blue and white....maybe a teeny tiny print....would be perfect for baby Samuel Earl.... Earl, after my DH....

Two of the kids are girl/boy twins....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

You can make a chevron quilt from one charm pack, but it will be a very small quilt.
              K is for Karen 😊​..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

Super cute!! How big is that? Would doing Jenny's HST method work, where you sew around the entire square and then cut? Or would that be too small?

Comment

How many charm packs are in a fat quarter bundle? Trying to figure out the least expensive way to go on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelle View Post
                    Super cute!! How big is that? Would doing Jenny's HST method work, where you sew around the entire square and then cut? Or would that be too small?
                    Jenny has used that method on charm packs to make pinwheels. You may want to check her pinwheel tutorial.
                    Preeti
                    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

You could also do it with straight half charm pieces like this (not my photo)

Reference website: Chevron Quilts ? How Many Ways? | blue feather quilt studio

I like this one because it has less seams than the HST method and you're always sewing on the straight grain. It's just a 2-color rail fence block set on point. To do the chevrons in multiple colors would just require more planning before you sew since you wouldn't be able to just sew each charm to a white, but if you do color-white altering like the example pic you can run all your charms through with all your whites sewing down two opposite sides, then cut them in half, then just lay them out on point and figure out which ones to sew together to make the rows. You'd have a little waste on the ends of the rows because of it falling on the edge and having to trim it diagonally.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
                        You could also do it with straight half charm pieces like this (not my photo)

Reference website: Chevron Quilts ? How Many Ways? | blue feather quilt studio

I like this one because it has less seams than the HST method and you're always sewing on the straight grain. It's just a 2-color rail fence block set on point. To do the chevrons in multiple colors would just require more planning before you sew since you wouldn't be able to just sew each charm to a white, but if you do color-white altering like the example pic you can run all your charms through with all your whites sewing down two opposite sides, then cut them in half, then just lay them out on point and figure out which ones to sew together to make the rows. You'd have a little waste on the ends of the rows because of it falling on the edge and having to trim it diagonally.
                        My dd did it that way and it came out really nice. If only she would finish it!
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                        X