What to use to lay out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use to lay out

What do you lay out your quilt block made of small 2" squares to keep it together while you are laying out the block?
    Peggy:icon_hug:

Re: What to use to lay out

I have a 24 x 36 inch piece of foam core I covered with fleece and use this as a portal design wall for small projects.
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Comment

I have a piece of fuzzy flannel that I put on a tray.
      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I have an unused painting canvas board that can move with me from cutting table to sewing table.

Comment

This was good timing for me! Now to see if I can find something in the house w/out having to run to the store.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a small fold up table that I keep next to me with a small cutting mat on it and I lay my pieces out on it.
            Vonnie

Comment

Good idea "Iris Girl" to use fleece covered foam core. That way it will cling and not slide off the board during transport from one part of the room to the sewing machine.

Comment

I found a little cheapy bamboo tray, about 12x10 that is perfect for now.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a piece of foam board, like you put on the house for insulation. One side has foil on it. So I cut it in two and covered with batting and cotton and now I have one board about 15" by 18 " to put pieces on OR to use for pressing seams by my sewing machine with out getting up. Which ever I need, it works for both. It is really light weight. You can buy it at Home Depot and places like that.

Comment

Great ideas. I just used a piece of batting for now. Before I did that I just laid it out on the table to the left of my machine table and every time I would reach over to grab a square my sleeve would knock them all about, then I would have to lay it out again.
                    Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

I "envy" those of you that have to transport your pieces from one side of your sewing place to the other. I have a sewing corner in the family room! Some day my dream will come (I already have the Handsome Prince!).
                      Thanks for the great ideas!
                      "One can never consent to creep, when one feels the impulse to soar" -Helen Keller

Comment

When we moved into this hours, seven years ago this Spring, one of the very first things my husband did, was set up my sewing room... That included a design wall that takes up most of a ten foot wall.... I love it, and use it all of the time.... He framed it with wood, attached insulation sheets covered with a large piece of flannel we found at Bed, Bath and Beyond ... No seams.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

A friend made me a portable carry case and I use it for laying out blocks to move from one place to the other in my sewing room or for sit and sew days. It is two pieces of cardboard covered with flannel on the inside and cotton on the outside. The cover acts like a hinge in the middle and she put a button/elastic band closure and some strap handles. It is about the size of a record album and works great.

Comment

I use quilt boards that I made myself. If you have a cardboard box around, you can make your own. Cut the desired squares of cardboard using a square (from my husb's tools) & a box cutter. I tape 2 pieces together so it will be sturdier. Cover with a sleeve of flannel & pin shut the ends. I have boards ranging in sizes 9.5" to 16.5' to accommodate various sized blocks. The small quilt pcs. will adhere to the flannel. You can carry the board to your ironing board or sewing table. JCY

Comment

Working...
                            X