What color for the binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What color for the binding?

About a year ago, I made a huge order from M* and they gifted me a charmpack. The line's name is Watercolor Garden from Benartex, and for many months it has stayed an orphan top, that is, an UFO.

This layout seemed dull. I was thinking of adding some appliqué, but finally I took ripper in hand and did "reverse stitching" all morning. I've separated all the blocks and resewn them, and now I like the result (sorry no pic yet, it is night). I've quilted it (3/4" meandering) but now I need to decide what to put as a binding.
    The sashing and border are two tones of some kind of peachy or salmon color, but I don't have enough of either to complete a binding strip (both were ends of bolts from my LQS, so no way I can purchase the same). Should I piece a strip with other colors included in the prints, like soft greens and purples? Or should I buy extra fabric for this purpose? And then, which color?

Re: What color for the binding?

I think I would use that dark pink or red color....it's hard for me to tell which it is.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

You said you don't have enough of either of the peach colors but can you use them together or will it still not be enough? If not, I would probably use that teal (green/blue, not sure which it is) if you can match it. I think it would go well with the peach.
      Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

You can piece binding strips of as many colors as you want to get enough to go around the quilt. I've used FQs, cut the long ways for 21" strips, which I sewed together to make a variety binding. It really turns out ok. I would alternate colors when you piece them end to end. Try to plan ahead so a seam doesn't hit at the corners. You could use all the various colors of your quilt. JCY

Comment

Try maroon. It will nicely frame the light colors.
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would piece together what you have and use that.
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

I would also piece together what I had left. Those pieces will go with the quilt and you will have less scrap to throw away.

I like the colors. Cant way to it finished
              Karen
              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Thank all of you for your help. It is going to be my first pieced binding -that is, with more piecing than the usual WOF long strips. The recipient is my 1 year old niece. I bet she won't be too picky about it.

Comment

Binding finished! Outdoor picture before binding so that you see the definite lay out, and detail of the binding, pieced with scraps ot the sashing and backing fabrics.

Comment

I love your colors. Your binding looks great. It is perfect for this quilt. Wish I could meander like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X