Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsy Start Free Motion Quilting class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craftsy Start Free Motion Quilting class?

Does anyone know if this would be a good one for someone (me) who has not done FMQ? Well, I have tried, a little, and it scared me.

Start Free-Motion Quilting
    Bobbi
    :icon_rofl: Laughter is good for the soul
    And so are Martha's Cookies
    sigpic

Re: Craftsy Start Free Motion Quilting class?

I have wondered about these classes too. I don't have any confidence that I can master this skill!

Comment

I got the email about this Craftsy class, too, that is on special for $19.99. I am interested, too, but was hoping someone would jump on this thread and tell us more if they have taken the class.
      Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I just signed up so I will post after I have watched part. Remember you can always get your money back if the class is not what you wanted.
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

That looks like a new class and there are no reviews on site so I'm not familiar with this instructor. I have taken the Continuous Line Quilting class by Ann Petersen and found it to be very easy and the 1st class is simple designs. She's easy to follow. I'm also enrolled in the Leah Day, Vol 1 FMQ class. I haven't had too much time for this one, but she's also easy to follow and doesn't talk incessantly.

Check out others suggestions and wait until a class is on sale. I think that a class for the FMQ is very beneficial to teach you the basics, no matter what class you take. It's a starting point. Good luck.

Comment

I totally agree with Sharyn. I have taken more than one class with Ann Petersen and she is very clear on her instructions. Leah Day is also very good. You can also go to Leah's website and watch some of her videos for free.

I got that email also and do not know anything about the instructor. But, I already have bought several of their machine quilting classes and am going to refrain from buying anymore along that line. The one I'm throughly enjoying right now is the one by Tara about quilt as you go bags. Just learning how to put in a zipper pocket is worth the cost of the class. Have never seen that technique before but it looks like something I could do.
            Vonnie

Comment

Okay, I watched the whole thing and I would say don't waste your money. I will probably ask for a refund. I don't think she was very clear. She scattered different things throughout the lessons. For example, before you start you need to know a few things (basting, which needle, thread, setting up your machine, gloves, etc.) but she mixed them in among the lessons. There was a mistake in the first pattern, the second one requires 2 templates but they are not shown and there were no printouts of the different stitches she showed. She also never did any quilting on anything but a practice sandwich. I want to be able to Fmq a large quilt and that is different from a small square. I learned a lot more from Leah's free videos.
              Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

vchale, Leah has a 4 part lesson on You Tube explaining how she always shows and tells you to make the 6 inch squares for practice. She then shows you how to make this into a bigger design for your large quilt. Just watched this yesterday and it is good.

Comment

I've previewed some of them and did sign up for Leah Day's. Disappointed since I don't care for really filler stitch all over quilting. I wanted to do some traditional patterns like an embroidery machine can do, except larger than my machine's format. I like using these patterns on plain cloth raggie quilts especially if I have a fabric I don't want to cut. Not one class had an explanation of how to do this.

Someone on another forum suggested the gold paper method, so I finally used that. It worked very well.

I've taken other classes there and found them pretty good. I prefer QAYG so I don't have too much fabric to deal with at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by vchale View Post
                    Okay, I watched the whole thing and I would say don't waste your money. I will probably ask for a refund. I don't think she was very clear. She scattered different things throughout the lessons. For example, before you start you need to know a few things (basting, which needle, thread, setting up your machine, gloves, etc.) but she mixed them in among the lessons. There was a mistake in the first pattern, the second one requires 2 templates but they are not shown and there were no printouts of the different stitches she showed. She also never did any quilting on anything but a practice sandwich. I want to be able to Fmq a large quilt and that is different from a small square. I learned a lot more from Leah's free videos.
                    Thanks, Vernona. Guess I'll save my money and use it on one of the other classes suggested.
                    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I actually like Angela Walter's classes. Her best one is Machine Quilting Negative Space. Ann Petersen's classes are always good. She is a wonderful instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
                        I actually like Angela Walter's classes. Her best one is Machine Quilting Negative Space. Ann Petersen's classes are always good. She is a wonderful instructor.
                        Thanks for that info. I will definitely have to check them out.
                        Gerri

Comment

Thank you so much Vernona!
                          Bobbi
                          sigpic

Comment

Alpha O- I would love to try a QAYG-any tips or good tutorials you can tell me about?
                            Bobbi
                            sigpic

Comment

I have taken several craftsy classes and have really enjoyed most every one I have taken. There was one I took that wasn't what I was expecting, but it was a good class. But judging from the descriptions, I think it sounds right on target for a beginner and sounds well worth it, especially if you can catch it on sale. If you don't like it, Crafty will give you your money back, so I say go for it!
                              My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Working...
                              X