Washing quilt when done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing quilt when done

I'm a new quilter and have made quilt tops but just finishing one completely to give away.
    Should I wash the quilt when done before giving away?
    I don't want it to look bad after washing so I hesitate to wash it. Will it change the looks a lot?
    Does anyone have pics of one before washing and after?
    Also how should I wash it and what detergent?
    Thanks so much
    Terry

Re: Washing quilt when done

This is just personal but I do not wash my quilts till I absolutely have to. I like the look before washing. I do wash my fabric before I make the quilt though.
    Florence

Comment

I always wash before giving them away. I always wash on normal, and use a color catcher in case the colors might run. Which I think might be another good reason to wash before giving it away.

It will change the looks of the quilt too, mostly for the better IMO. I think it will depend on fabric choices, batting, and your choice of quilting too. Here are a couple of examples of before washing and after.

SAM_6940.jpgSAM_6948.jpgSAM_7005.jpgSAM_7012.jpg

The placemat, actually looked better before washing.

I don't wash my fabric before either.
      Last edited by Vickie1965; March 26, 2014, 07:47 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

My opinion is that I think that quilts look so much better once they are washed I like when they get all the crinkles and they are much softer. But I also always use shout color catchers when I wash in case.

Comment

I always wash my quilts after finishing them, IMHO they look warm and comforting after being washed. I wash as I or someone else would normally wash them using a color catcher especially if I used bold colors or white/bright combo.
          Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I wash mine before I give them away so I know exactly how it will look. I always like them even more once they have been washed. As for detergent I can only use the high efficiency detergent in my washer so I use ALL free and clear on a regular cycle.

Comment

I also wash my quilts before I gift them. I wash in warm water, regular cycle, All free clear or Tide sensitive Laundry Detergent (no perfumes, good for those who have allergies), a couple Color Catchers, double rinse and then dry in the dryer. I do a double check on my seams, just in case one decides to come apart (it has happened once). I don't want any surprises to my friends or family when they wash them for the first time.

It will change how the quilt looks. But, for me, it looks more like a quilt when it is soft and wrinkled. You can always give it a quick iron on the top if you want it less crinkled.

Comment

I always wash before gifting for a couple of reasons. First off, I want to make sure the quilt is free of dirt, dust, hand oils, pet hair and dander before someone gets it. Secondly, I want to make sure that the seams are going to hold up and that the new owner doesn't get any surprises. I would hate for the new owner to think they damaged the quilt by using it and washing it. People that don't quilt don't know that a quilt will crinkle up after washing. If they receive a nice flat quilt and then after the first wash it comes out all wrinkled, they may think they did something wrong. I wash it exactly how I wash any of my laundry: Warm water, warm dryer. IMO, this is crucial. I know that if I am making a quilt for a baby, the mother is less likely to use it if there are "special" washing instructions such as "wash in cold water, low heat in dryer". If it is a quilt that is intended for everyday use then it needs to be able to withstand normal laundering.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I pre wash all my fabrics and then wash quilt when done. I do this as I dont' want to give a quilt and then when THAT person washes it, the quilt colors run or bleed or the quilt pulls somehow or there is some issue I could fix if I had it, but now that they have it...it looks bad. I want to give it how it "will be"...for them to use and for them to wash and fix anything that washing messes up BEFORE I give it. I use color catchers, and light detergent and low low to almost air dry. And Give them or tell them washing instructions too.
                  Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I prewash mine as well. I do spray basting so want to make sure before it gets to someone that all of that is out. Also I agree I want to make sure it can withstand washing and no colours bleed. I don't really have a preference on the look of a quilt before or after washiing. Right now I am working on a wall hanging and am wondering I should leave that unwashed.

Comment

For me washing is the final step in making a quilt. So far I only make quilts to be used, not for decoration, so they HAVE to be washable. Me washing first lets me know it can handle it.

Since my quilts ARE to be used, I want them soft, not stiff and flat, so washing helps soften them up.

And also when I make a quilt, I use starch, water soluble stabilizers, markers, and I manhandle it. I want it CLEAN before I give it away! And I want to be certain all the stuff I've used comes out before it's put in the dryer.

None of my quilts get special treatment, they get washed and dried just like everything else in the house. For quilts that I use lots of stabilizer in, I run it through the rinse cycle, water only, a few times until all the stabilizer is dissolved, then wash with soap.
                      Cathryn

Comment

I'm interested in this too... what about drying?? Should they be hung to dry or maybe in the dryer at a lower setting?? (We're assuming all cotton here, including batting) Thanks in advance - I love this place...

Comment

I dry on high heat. Always.
                          Cathryn

Comment

I wash my quilts before using and giving. It's just the next step after binding for me. Now, I don't wash wallhangings, I like the look of them on the wall without wrinkles. I just LOVE a crinkly quilt!
                            "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                            :D

Comment

I wash with color catchers ,and machine dry on low before giving away my quilts. Almost always send some color catchers with them.
                              "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                              Hillary Clinton

Comment

Working...
                              X