Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need thread advise...quilt has totally changed now! I am tired!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need thread advise...quilt has totally changed now! I am tired!

I"ve asked this before, but since then...the entire quilt almost has changed! I ran out of 2 of the fabrics and when I went back to the more, the store was out. So I had to just use what I had made (9 blocks instead of 12) and just added 2, 2" borders and 1, 4" boarder in the colors I had left. Then I went to use the beige with gold sparkles on the back, and ran out of that so I just found a neutral color of beige for the back. Go ti home and it was KONA brand, but once washed was so wrinkled and thin I thought it was muslin! I looked again on the receipt to be sure, and yeah, it was KONA. What a dissapointment! Anyway, when I want back for the gold sparkle, I also had to find other fabrics for the back..long story there too! Bottom line, I finally finished the top, and today the back. The back I can deal with probably any color as I can do it in 3 sections, the middle section in the neutral color thread and the two side in any dark thread.

My problem is the front. I don't know how to FMQ it. I usually meander but I don't know what to do. the top as you see is some maroon, dark blue, medium green and beige. Do I use dark thread all over even on the beige? Or do I use light thread all over..even on the dark blue and maroon? Today in sitting here looking at it I think after all I have been through on this quilt, (is 72"x72") I think I will just do a straight stitch and go diagonal instead of SITD. It will be easier than Meandering. But I still have the thread color issue. I am looking at it and think the dark thread on the beige would look better than the light thread on the dark blue/maroon. Maybe even add some dimension to it.

But, the final question is...what dark color? Blue or Maroon? The blue would mix with the maroon print. Maroon would mix with the maroon print, so it is down to blue thread on maroon or maroon thread on Blue? I know it sounds trivial but this is a quilt for a wedding gift to a family member. I want it to be the best possible. ANd I am really tired of working on this quilt as everything has gone wrong with it so it is turning from a labor of love to just labor!
    Attached Files
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: Need thread advise...quilt has totally changed now! I am tired!

How about using invisible thread on the top? I have used it in situations like this.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      How about using invisible thread on the top? I have used it in situations like this.

Sandy
      I am working on that! Do you have any experience with invisible threads? I asked about that thread and got so many negative responses! I have some Sulky and just worked with it a bit and if I can manage to do all the things needed, I can use it on at least the back, but I guess I am not brave enough (or have the stress level) for using it on both! The back is the beige for the middle 1/3 of the quilt and then a dark print on the sides of the beige...so the back I can do in section and invisible in the white area only if need be. Well, now thinking, that won't work if I am doing diagonal lines! I think I am in over my head on this one! And it is due to be shipped no later than Saturday! for the wedding on the 4th!
      Cheri

Comment

I'd meander with a tan over the blocks, and get a matching blue to meander on the border. Invisible thread is probably better now, but my son was given a quilt with the invisible thread 14 years ago, and it broke in quite a few places as it was used and washed over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
          I'd meander with a tan over the blocks, and get a matching blue to meander on the border. Invisible thread is probably better now, but my son was given a quilt with the invisible thread 14 years ago, and it broke in quite a few places as it was used and washed over the years.
          Was it nylon or poly invisible thread? I have heard that the nylon will break and melt, but poly doesn't. I wish I hadn't been so ambitious with this quilt!
          Cheri

Comment

Working...
          X