Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flannel and cotton together...yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel and cotton together...yes or no?

I have a question...can I make a quilt top out of cotton and use a flannel layer cake for the back? I have never used flannel before but wanted to use the flannel as a backing for a warmer quilt...because the flannel is a layer cake I cannot wash it ahead of time. Is it possible to inter-mix flannel and cotton for a quilt top? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Flannel and cotton together...yes or no?

Yes, flannel and cotton can be used together as long as the flannel is pre-shrunk. Cotton and flannel shrink at very different rates. It's not a good idea to try to pre-shrink a layercake. Yardage for the backing would make for a happier ending. When I use flannel as a backing I wash and dry it twice to eliminate most of the shrinkage.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Anna, other members who have more experience than I will no doubt respond but I've learned from previous posts that flannel shrinks more than regular cotton so might cause you problems. That's what I love about this forum, there's always someone to help!

Comment

You could always serge the edges of the flannel layer cake - would take a while and use lots of thread, then wash the layer cake.

I did this with 2 fat quarter bundles - 30 total. I turned on the TV and set up my serger and spent an hour just serging the edges. Then I washed and dryed them. I did this for a flannel quilt for DH. I found some wonderful Moda marbled brown flannel - 6 yards - and serged the edges and washed it for the backing. Made a Window Paned Disappearing 9 Patch. It's very soft.

I agree with the others that flannel shrinks differently than plain cotton.
        Vonnie

Comment

If you can't pre-wash and dry the flannel, then I suggest you don't mix it with cotton. Flannel can really shrink-some brands more than others. I have been very surprised by the amount of shrinkage on some flannel.

Comment

I just made 4 baby quilts and mixed flannel charms with cotton. I washed them before I gave them and there was no issues. I mix mine all the time. I never prewash I've made at 10 quilts mixing them. I even put minky in there too!! No shrinkage issues or wonky quilts

Comment

I may be the odd guy out here but I use flannel backing for all my personal quilts as I live where there are cold winters, and I have never pre-washed it and have never had a problem. With that said I do buy quality flannel from a quilt store and most of my quilts have an all over quilting which may help. You can go to my album and see the quilts with the flannel, they have all been washed when completed with no problem.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Flannel shrinks more. Make sure you have quality flannel some flannel bought at stores do not wear well.
                It will shred at the edges too when you work with it.

Comment

I made a double slice throw with flannel layer cake and unwashed same quality flannel for the back. It turnned out fine. Same with Minky and flannel charms. I would not mix unshrunk flannel with cotton.
                  "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                  Hillary Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                    Yes, flannel and cotton can be used together as long as the flannel is pre-shrunk. Cotton and flannel shrink at very different rates. It's not a good idea to try to pre-shrink a layercake. Yardage for the backing would make for a happier ending. When I use flannel as a backing I wash and dry it twice to eliminate most of the shrinkage.
                    When I made Earl's comfort quilt I backed it with very good quality flannel.... I didn't even think about pre-shrinking the flannel... I don't pre-wash anything anymore....though I do test reds... The quilt turned out perfectly, even after watching and drying... I think the quality if the flannel makes a big difference....

I would sew the layer cake together, use it as a backing, and not worry...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
                      I may be the odd guy out here but I use flannel backing for all my personal quilts as I live where there are cold winters, and I have never pre-washed it and have never had a problem. With that said I do buy quality flannel from a quilt store and most of my quilts have an all over quilting which may help. You can go to my album and see the quilts with the flannel, they have all been washed when completed with no problem.
                      I love your quilts...you are so talented! I am going to try mixing cotton and the flannel layer cake. Will let you know how it goes! I bought the flannel layer cake from connecting threads and the fabric has always proven to be of good quality. I am excited to start my project. Thanks everyone for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                        When I made Earl's comfort quilt I backed it with very good quality flannel.... I didn't even think about pre-shrinking the flannel... I don't pre-wash anything anymore....though I do test reds... The quilt turned out perfectly, even after watching and drying... I think the quality if the flannel makes a big difference....

I would sew the layer cake together, use it as a backing, and not worry...
                        Thank you Sandy...I am going to try using the flannel layer cake as you and others have suggested. I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Comment

I just finished up a cotton front with flannel backing baby quilt and did not prewash anything. Washed up beautifully. I did a cold water wash and regular tumble dry until dry. No problems.

Comment

Working...
                          X