Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invisible/transparent thread...share what you know about it with me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible/transparent thread...share what you know about it with me!

I made the investment today on some invisible thread...Sulky I think it is. It was on sale 40% off and I would like to be able to use it in some cases where a light and dark fabric needs to be FMQ'ed and I dont' want light thread on dark fabric and visa versa..so... I decided to give it a try.

I would like to hear from anyone that has experience using this invisible thread or if you know of a good tutorial for using it. I know I can google it, but I prefer to hear from those that have actual experience with the thread first, then move on to other options.

Other than the obvious questions...also....is it better in the top or bobbin? Is it best both top and bobbin? Do you wind the bobbin with it differently than regular thread? Any tension changes need to be allotted for? Is it good for FMQ'ing and if so...tips on using it for that? Just anything anyone would like to share of your knowledge using invisible/transparent thread would greatly be appreciated. I have a wedding quilt I am hoping to use it on as the front is dark and the back is lighter..and that means a big thread color issue! Thanks so much!
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: Invisible/transparent thread...share what you know about it with me!

I use it in my bobbin when adding binding, haven't had to make any adjustments. When winding the bobbin it's a little harder to get started. I machine all my bindings.

Comment

I have only used in the top. A lot of advice says not to use in the bobbin so I have not tried. It works pretty good, but because you cant see it well its hard to see where you are going and where you have been. I find it is more work to use it so I do not use it much. I have started using colors in my quilting and I find I like it to show
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

When I used it, I put it both top and bottom. Worked fine!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

The only thing I can tell you about invisible/transparent thread is that I've never had anything but bad luck with it. I know theres a way to use it but I just can't figure it out. I threw mine away...
          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I used it on my very first quilt - top and bobbin. It was Gutermann from Joann's. I had no problem FMQ with it, but boy is it a bear if you have to rip stitches!
            Donna

Comment

I have used it only for top thread. I find it ok, bit fiddly but manageable. Not sure what make.

Comment

I have only used it as a top thread. My Juki absolutely hates it. Probably because it's a strong machine and needs a strong thread.

I like the Sulky brand. I was making a t-shirt quilt and the nylon thread was breaking every 2 - 3 stitches. Someone recommended the sulky and it worked great. But, never use it on anything that has stress on it. DS1 asked me to mend his taekwondo pants and I did not have thread to match so I used the sulky invisible thread. DS1 was not too happy with me.
                Vonnie

Comment

I have used it and had nothing but trouble with it. You also have to be careful not to melt it in the dryer or with an iron. I don't recommend that anyone use it. It's not advisable to use it on baby quilts or any baby items.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I used it to quilt a wall hanging with regular thread in the bobbin. It did okay but was a bit difficult to work with. It tended to coil off the spool a lot so that there were loops of thread between the spool and the tension discs. I don't think I'd want to use it on something that might be washed and dried often.
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Invisible thread came a long way since about 10 or more years.
                      I think it can be touchy to use on some machines. My Bernina takes time and patience using it.
                      They used to say not to use in baby quilts, I do not think they say that now.

Comment

I just bought some myself - haven't used it yet. While I was digging around, it became apparent that nylon invisible thread is to be avoided. It's the one that is heat sensitive and not pleasant to touch. "They" say to get poly only. So, I looked and looked and looked and finally found polyester invisible thread at Superior Threads. Lots of people have the nylon stuff. And lots of people don't bother to tell you what the fiber content is, so I avoided those for sure. I can say that the poly thread is more pleasant to touch.

Comment

I am using it to sew my he is together using the whip stitch for my gfg wall hanging and love it. I tie a knot at the eye end of the needle to keep the thread from slipping out and before I stitch I run the thread between my fingers, this straightens it so it doesn't twist and turn. I love the fact that my stitches do not show.

Comment

Originally posted by Genny View Post
                            The only thing I can tell you about invisible/transparent thread is that I've never had anything but bad luck with it. I know theres a way to use it but I just can't figure it out. I threw mine away...
                            I tried it once when I was taking a Craftsy class. My machine jammed, the thread broke and jammed the machine. In a different Craftsy class I took from Leah Day I asked about invisible thread. SHE said she thinks it's more trouble than it's worth. I thought if someone of her skills has problems, it's not for me!

Comment

Wow..guess I should have asked before I bought! It is Sulky 100% polyester fine 004 soft. Says washable and dry cleanable. I guess I will try it in the bobbin and see how it goes and return the other spool! Quilting is getting complicated!!!!LOL!!
                              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X