Batting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting....

I am making my first quilt! The top is finished and I do not know what type of batting to use. It is a T-shirt quilt, 96 X 86. Is Dacron a good choice? Thanks!

Re: Batting....

That is a large quilt for a first! I think the kind of batting will depend on if you are looking for a 'Puffy' look or a flatter profile. Also, it will make a difference in how you decide to quilt it. Some batting needs to be quilted more densely, where other types will say you can quilt up to 8-10" apart. Some are all cotton, and others are poly, or cotton/poly. I have generally used all cotton, for mine, because I can quilt further apart on it, and I don't machine quilt, nor do I do a dense pattern. Don't know if this helps at all or just gives you more questions,
    sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I used warm and natural for my daughters tshirt quilt
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I usually use Warm & Natural or Warm & White for most of my quilts. I have been happy with it. I have occasionally used higher loft poly batting if I want the "puffy" look.
        Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

It all depends on how you want your quilt to drape when you are finished. I find the 100% cotton is a tad too stiff or firm for me. I prefer Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20 Batting (80% cotton/20% polyester). MSQC has it in bulk (cut to the length you need) but I tend to buy it when it goes on sale at Connecting Threads only because shipping is easier to where I live (Canada).
          Hobbs Heirloom Premium Blend Batting (80/20 Cotton/Poly) Yardage - Hobbs

Hobbs Heirloom Premium 80/20 Batting from ConnectingThreads.com

Comment

As someone said before that it depends on how you will quilt it. A high loft poly needs to be tied. A low loft poly can be machine quilted if it is basted very well because it shifts easily. A cotton or cotton/poly blend tends to stick better to the top and the backing so does not shift so much. Cotton or cotton/poly blend can be machine quilted or hand quilted. Also be sure to check how close the quilting needs to be for the batting that you choose. It will state this on the package.

Comment

I like to use Warm & Natural because I can quilt up to 10" apart.
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are you going to hand or machine quilt it? I like batting from the Warm Company (Warm and Natural, Warm and White, and my latest favorite Warm Blend) for machine quilting. For hand quilting, I would go with a polyester batt as it is easier to needle.
                Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

I am always concerned about shrinkage with batting. If the quilt is likely to be washed a lot, I don' think I'd use 100% cotton. The shirts wouldn't shrink but the batting would. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                  X