For those who bind quilts by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who bind quilts by hand

Typically I use a 2" strip, folded in half, stitched on the backside, roll toward the front and stitch down. I know others do it backwards - stitch on the front, roll to the back and hand stitch. Regardless, I've been doing a hidden running stitch, about 1/8", to secure my binding.

What stitch do you use on your hand stitching? Do you go for a blanket stitch, a decorative stitch, a locking stitch . . . or something else?

I am now working for the Inquirer!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: For those who bind quilts by hand

I use double fold French binding cut 2.25" and folded and pressed lengthwise. I stitch is to the front and wrap it to the back and use a Ladder Stitch to hand hem it. This is the same stitch Jenny uses in her tutorials. I pull the thread through the very edge of the binding and take my stitch directly below where my thread came out of the binding and insert the needle there and come up about 1/8" away and through the binding. My next stitch will be directly below where the thread is in the binding. Repeat about a zillion times and your binding is done! Your stitches are nearly invisible and the binding a quite secure.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I machine bind on the front and turn and blind stitch on the back

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
        I use double fold French binding cut 2.25" and folded and pressed lengthwise. I stitch is to the front and wrap it to the back and use a Ladder Stitch to hand hem it. This is the same stitch Jenny uses in her tutorials. I pull the thread through the very edge of the binding and take my stitch directly below where my thread came out of the binding and insert the needle there and come up about 1/8" away and through the binding. My next stitch will be directly below where the thread is in the binding. Repeat about a zillion times and your binding is done! Your stitches are nearly invisible and the binding a quite secure.

I do it like Bubby and our diva Jenny!

sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
        A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
        And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Same as Bubby too!
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by Swedish leo View Post
            I do it like Bubby and our diva Jenny!

Same here only I use 2 1/2 inch strips!

Comment

EXTRA,EXTRA!!!!
              I always had stitched down by hand... Start with a 2-1/2" (my friend the long armer and perfectionist does 2-1/4", she thinks it's more eye appealing.. press in half...but I stitch to be turned to the side I think will look best when stitched down... I've been doing quilts for charity.. so I stitch on the back and fold to the front, and zig zag down or blind hem... nothing fancy.. I'm a "simple gal"...
              OH,,, there is a binding join tutorial( Cassandra Plot) that I keep on my desk top, that I love,,, I've seen it done elsewhere, but this one works for me... just wish I could "remember" without have to look at the video almost every time...
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I pretty much do it like Jenny does with 2.5 inch strips. If I want the binding to be a stronger statement, I'll go up to 3 inch strips. But, stitched to the front and blind stitched to the back is my approach. I am not as tidy as some others. My stitches are a quarter inch to a third inch apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post

I do the same except I don' t iron the binding, just fold it. Love hand sewing binding.
                  "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                  Hillary Clinton

Comment

2.5" - Bubby/Barb's method. - I won't go as far as Marta's statement as saying "I love hand sewing binding!" lol I enjoy it in the evening. lol
                    sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

I use a 21/2 inch strip folded in half, stitched to the front and a hidden stitch to secure the back. On some baby quilts I have used satin blanket binding in the same manner. Nothing fancy for me, but I DO admire those that do! Right now concentrating on making about 6 dresses for Africa. This is the first time I am making pillowcase dresses, I had fun making my first yesterday. I hope I still think it's fun when I reach my sixth!!! Happy sewing all!

Comment

Same as Barb except I use 2.5" strips.
                        *~* Myrna *~*
                        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I use the ladder stitch too, machine stitched to the front and hand stitched in back. Sometimes I use a 2 1/4 inch strip, and sometimes 2 1/2.

Comment

image.jpgI use Jenny's Ultimate Binding tut. I also found a tut that uses 3 1/2 binding, it turned out really nice. image.jpg. Added pic hope it works.
                            Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

Sew down the front and hand stitch the back like Sandy; use 2 1/2" strip usually; sometimes smaller; depends on the quilt.
                              Just did a baby quilt folding the backing over to the front, fold down and machine stitched. Worked fine for this, but would not do it on a large quilt.
                              :icon_wave: Linda
                              "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Working...
                              X