Confused, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused, need help

I am using the Good Night Irene pattern that Jenny published in the 2013 fall Quilting Quickly magazine. I used the charm packs and her quick method of making the 4 patches. She also demonstrates this method in a utube tutorial. I have been extremely careful and NONE of the 4 patches are coming out the same size. Some are 5" (finished) all the way down to 4 1/2 (finished) and all points inbetween. i am so frustrated. What finished size should these be? I will square the finished blocks to the correct size if I can. Thank you so much for your help!

Re: Confused, need help

I made this quilt and I did like this.

I sewed 2 strips 2,5" toghether and then subcut at 2,5"

then I paired them in to 4 patches. every square are 2" sewed in the block and 2 and half " unsewed.

So if my maths is correct the four patch should be 4, 5"
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

5 inch charm squares should create a 4 patch 9 inches square finished or 9 1/2 square unfinished. you may just have to trim them all to the smallest size and adjust any other parts of the quilt too
      Last edited by Doloris; March 23, 2014, 04:11 PM.
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

a 4 patch made the way Jenny shows should measure at 4.5" so if some are bigger then you are good, you can trim them to size. It's when they come out smaller that the real problems begin.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I am also in the process of doing that quilt, the same way than you: starting from 5" squares. Your 4 patches should be 4 1/2" , and when you join 4 of them for the 16 patches, they should end up being 8 1/2" blocks (unfinished) so they are 8" once sewn in the quilt.
          For the other X and O alternate blocks, you start from 4 1/2" squares from the neutral fabric, that you snowball 2 opposite corners of, with 2 1/2" squares so that they overlap and you get perfect points.
          Besides the magazine, this quilt also has a video tutorial from Jenny:

Comment

Thank you so much!! You hace answered my questions and even more. I'll carry on, and it was nice getting answers from some who have made this quilt. So far, my smallest ones are 4.5 so I hope my luck holds out! This is more difficult than it looks.

Comment

Another thought is that not all charm packs are the same size.....even within a charm pack, they can be different sizes - so if your smallest block is 4.5" then square them all to 4.5" and you will be fine!
              ~Kathy~

Comment

Thanks BKthomas, that is what I thought I should do. The pattern will make it a queen size and I thought I might add an additional border to make it a little larger. I'm a long way from that stage though. It will be summer before I'm able to finish it but at least getting everything squared up makes me feel better about actually being ABLE to finish it! Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X