Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What color thread to use with light/dark fabrics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubba
    replied
    Re: What color thread to use with light/dark fabrics?

I have become a fan of varigated thread myself....

Leave a comment:

• starlover
    replied

A variegated thread might be pretty

Leave a comment:

• Spiff
    replied

My LQS does a lot of long-arm and I was talking to the owner about just this a couple weeks ago. She said she is using a pale grey color almost exclusively for her quilting now. She said she has found it works best when there are multiple colors (light/dark) in a quilt top. The grey blends in with the lighter colors and isn't as stark with the darks. She showed me the thread and it is what I would call a silver grey if that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

I just had a quilt done that had a rainbow of colors on it. I can not tell you the exact shade that she used but it is very neutral and seems to almost pick up whatever color it is quilted on. I would think that a lighter or invisible thread would work the best.

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

I would use a cream/tan a couple shades darker than the light background fabric. I've done FMQ and always thought the lighter thread looks better on darker fabrics than the darker thread looks on the lighter ones.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Make yourself at least a 12x12" sandwich of all the fabrics in your quilt, both front & back, & try out several dif. colored threads to see which you like the best & which seems to blend the best. I think I would go lighter rather than darker. Either way, light thread will show up more on the dark fabrics, and dark thread will show up more on the white/beige fabrics. I don't know how experienced you are at FMQ. A dark thread will be less forgiving of mistakes in the white areas that a light thread on the dark fabrics. Just a thought. I'm sure it will be lovely whatever you decide. JCY

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    started a topic What color thread to use with light/dark fabrics?

What color thread to use with light/dark fabrics?

I will soon be FMQ"ing a quilt that has multiple colors in it. Beige, maroon, medium green and dark blue. This is a pic of it...
    The back will be a different pattern but same colors. So...what do you suggest for color of thread for doing the FMQ meandering? Since the front is different pattern than the back. I can't outline anything on the front or it wlll look odd to have that pattern on the back on a different pattern. But.. beige thread on the dark colors, or dark thread on beige? I just can't see it. BUt I don't know what to do other than a clear thread, but...are those thick enough or suitable to do FMQ with? I have to have athis quilt done end of the week to have it mailed on Monday at the latest. Last trip to Joann's tomorrow so I can get what I need then. THanks for suggestions!
    Attached Files
Working...
X