really dumb question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

really dumb question?

Okay, so although I've been quilting for two years I'm still woefully ignorant in lots of areas - that's the problem with doing so much solo, far from a good LQS (and half a continent from MSQC!).

So here goes... what is an HST? Saw this more than once in referring to patterns, I'm assuming it's a type of block?

When you say something is "scrappy", what do you mean? I've been assuming you mean lots of different fabrics.

Deb
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Re: really dumb question?

These terms quilters come up with can be hard to understand!! HST means half square triangle and scrappy does mean a lot of different fabric. See, you are catching on!

Don't worry though.....we have a funny story on Mom. She has been quilting forever, and never asked anyone what WOF meant. (she said it as WOOF) Hahahahah, we still tease her about it. (it means 'width of fabric) Of course, if she didn't tell me I would be confused as heck also!

But, yeah any questions.....Please feel free to ask here! WE love newbies (I still consider myself one) and want to help you out anyway we can!!

Comment

Thanks!!
      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

There are no dumb questions!!! if you have any others be sure to just post them....we all have to start somewhere....
        Michele

Comment

don't worry, I'll prob be asking a bunch of questions too as I am also fairly new and live hours away from any quilt shop, however I just met a woman at church that quilts and just bought herself a long arm quilting machine Her husband said they should have bought a car instead

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie
            I just met a woman at church that quilts and just bought herself a long arm quilting machine Her husband said they should have bought a car instead
            it probably cost almost the same!! :mrgreen:
            Michele

Comment

I love the mom story - wasn''t that funny? Being military (retired) I seem to have a knack for acronyms .. LOL
              And I can read the vanity plates pretty quickly most of the time - But there were some quilting terms that had me guessing - TOT tone on tone, WOW white on white, points, scant 1/4 inch; and the tools! Holey moley - did I ever get hooked on those babies! Oh, and thread snobs.. oh wow.. man did I have a lot to learn on THAT one
              I was asked at a guild meeting if I knew how to needle .. sure, I can pick on you with the best of them!!! That is not what she meant... I have since learned to needle, and love it.
              The main thing is to have fun, don't take yourself too seriously, and follow the 'advice' in my signature - it refers to imperfect points ..
              If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Comment

I always wondered what that quote was about ... now I get it!
                Quilting through the dull times
                northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok I have a REALLY dumb question. What's a DH? I keep on hearing you ladies talking about your DH. I just can't figure it out. Maybe it's something from before my time, or maybe it's an American thing (Canadian here).

Comment

Your question makes me laugh ... some of the acronyms are easy, others you kind of have to get the context.
                    DH + Dear husband.. usually alt and less frequent Dumb Husband or Dear Brother or Dumb brother
                    DGS dear grandson
                    TFS thanks for sharing
                    TTYL Talk To You Later alt: TTFN taataa for now alt BFN Bye for now
                    BRB Be Right back
                    BF BEst Friend
                    DSIL Dear sister in Law DB Dear Brother
                    My personal one is DNSIL Dear NOT son in law - he and my grandson live here with me
                    AMHIK ask me how I know this oone shows up when trying to hep someone and you have made the same mistake
                    There are lots more.. and you can make up your own and someone will like and use it. Have fun wit it
                    HTH .. Hope this helps

Comment

During the spring & summer DH at my house means Designated Hitter. DL is Disabled List. Can you tell that I have sports fans in my house? So I guess it is all in what environment you are in!

I have found that if you ask, most folks will share what they mean by their "Short Hand".
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

... and I forgot to add one we should all know IMHO .. In my Humble Opinion
                        I understand that sports stuff, well some of it .. you are right - context is eveything..

Comment

Oh ok thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X