LABELS HAND EMBROIDERED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LABELS HAND EMBROIDERED

Can anybody tell me the best stitch to use to hand embroider quilt label with name, date etc. and how many strands of floss? This quilt will be used daily and washed occasionally in washing machine.

Re: LABELS HAND EMBROIDERED

I have never made them, but know that some people here make their own labels. I'm not sure if they do them by hand or machine. If I were to do it by hand on a quilt that will be much loved, I would use all six strands just to be on the safe side. Hope others come and give you more info. Would love to see a pic of the label and the quilt.
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Thanks. But I think 6 strands would be too bulky? One reason is bc I have total of 6 lower case letter "e"s and with 6 strands it would be hard to get that window space inside those letters. Do you know what I mean?

Comment

Have you thought about using Perle 12 embroidery floss instead. It's thin and won't split open like floss. I use when I do hand embroidery or hand quilting. Also use size 8 but that would probably be too thick with the "e"s.
        sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Let us know what you decide and how it works out. It's good for future FYI.

Comment

I usually use a Stem Stitch when embroidering letters. It's simple & looks good. I usually use 3 strands but I think I'll be using the perl cotton from now on. I think that would even better.
            May the road rise up to meet you...
            May the wind be always at your back...
            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
              I usually use a Stem Stitch when embroidering letters. It's simple & looks good. I usually use 3 strands but I think I'll be using the perl cotton from now on. I think that would even better.
              I agree that the Stem Stitch would be good. When I did "Merry Christmas" on a pillow I used the Stem Stitch and two strands. But I think three strands would be good also, depending on what kind of floss you are using.

sigpic
              Marci

Comment

A stem stitch or line stitch should work fine. 2 strands of regular embroidery floss should work fine.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

Here's a thought, if your worried about it coming undone during washings, why not put fusible backing on it before attaching to the quilt? That would keep it all in place I think.
                  I'll have to look for that Perle 12, all I have is cross stitch floss from DMC and I'd really like to make my own labels like that.

Comment

When I did a lot of embroidery I used 2 strands of floss. If your stitches are nice and tight and you knot well is should was well.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the advice. My label turned out awesome! I tried the pearl and it was great to work with bc it is a single strand and you don't have to separate it like floss, but it is about the thickness of 4 strands of embroidery floss, and too thick to do the small letters I wanted. In the end I just used 2 strands of regular floss and did the letters with the back stitch. The trick seemed to be to take very tiny stitches to get clean curves. Some of my stitches were as small as dots but they looked really good when I got done. I don't know how to post a picture using my kindle fire so you will just have to use your imagination!
                      Last edited by jjkaiser; March 25, 2014, 09:14 AM. Reason: auto correct changed words on me

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the advice. My label turned out awesome! I tried the pearl floss and it was great to work with bc it is a single strand and you don't have to separate it like floss, but it is about the thickness of 4 strands of embroidery floss, and too thick to do the small letters I wanted. In the end I just used 2 strands of regular floss and did the letters with the back stitch. The trick seemed to be to take very tiny stitches to get clean curves. Some of my stitches were as small as dots but they looked really good when I got done. I don't know how to post a picture using my kindle fire so you will just have to use your imagination!

Comment

Working...
                        X