Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 1/2 solid colour strips

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2 1/2 solid colour strips

    Hi everyone . I want to use some scraps up so have cut all the materials into 5 inch blocks ..and was thinking i would give a 4 block a solid border .. I thought you could buy 2 1/2 inch rolls or strips in a solid colour but cant find it on the site ...i realy only want the solid border to be a black one ......Buying the roll / strips has got to be easier than cutting them all .....Any help would be fantastic thanks . I have also got one quilt top that is 150 inch wide by 170 inch long but i would like to put a 10 inch border on it ..how much material will i need ?
    Last edited by gemmit; March 23, 2014, 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling oooops

    #2
    Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

    Jelly Rolls - Solids, Marbles, Essentials Precuts

    I used the categories drop down to choose jelly rolls and then on the left Solids, Marbles and Essentials. Hope you find what you are looking for. Love having black and white jelly rolls on hand for sashings and bindings.
    Lisa

    M*QC forum is full of the best people!

    I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

    A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

      I have many jelly rolls in colors that I've bought from MSQC. Lots of black and white rolls, plus some colored rolls and moda makes a lot of multicolored rolls also.

      If you want sashing strips, they carry the white, black and cream in 1-1/2" strips called honeybuns. They are fabulous for saahing, no cutting!

      Comment


        #4
        Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

        Originally posted by gemmit View Post
        Hi everyone . I want to use some scraps up so have cut all the materials into 5 inch blocks ..and was thinking i would give a 4 block a solid border .. I thought you could buy 2 1/2 inch rolls or strips in a solid colour but cant find it on the site ...i realy only want the solid border to be a black one ......Buying the roll / strips has got to be easier than cutting them all .....Any help would be fantastic thanks . I have also got one quilt top that is 150 inch wide by 170 inch long but i would like to put a 10 inch border on it ..how much material will i need ?
        With a quilt that big, what kind of bed is that for? Sounds huge! Don't know anyone who has made one that big, ever! You would need 15 blocks for each side, 17 blocks for each of the other sides--64 10" blocks, 4 blocks from each 10" of yardage, 166" of fabric, which would be almost 5 yards of fabric ( 4-2/3 yards) for borders, you could get 2 layercakes in black, you would have some leftover but no cutting!

        Comment


          #5
          Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

          Do you by any chance mean centimeters or another form of measurements?

          Don't forget to factor in the shipping costs. The flat rate only applies to the USA. So, if you order from here, if it was me, I would order lots of fabric to make it worthwhile!

          If you have trouble figuring centimeters vs inches, just state it in what you are used to and someone on here will translate it for you - not me - I'm only used to inches.
          Vonnie

          Comment


            #6
            Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

            Beware extra costs on large orders - the import duty (here in the UK anyway) can be horrendous.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

              for your 10 inch border on a 150 X 170 inch quilt, according to my Robert Kaufman QuiltingCalc app - you need 4 2/3 yards - cut 16 strips at 10 1/2 wide to have a 10 inch finished border. I just love this app!
              Lisa

              M*QC forum is full of the best people!

              I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

              A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                for your 10 inch border on a 150 X 170 inch quilt, according to my Robert Kaufman QuiltingCalc app - you need 4 2/3 yards - cut 16 strips at 10 1/2 wide to have a 10 inch finished border. I just love this app!
                Isn't it just the coolest app yet?? And for our friends overseas who use cm it has a conversion feature!! I never have problems figuring out yardage anymore.
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                  Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                  Isn't it just the coolest app yet?? And for our friends overseas who use cm it has a conversion feature!! I never have problems figuring out yardage anymore.
                  I do love it - just wish it also had a way to figure sashing strips - tell it what size square and how many across and down. I hate figuring that one out - I guess it would need more info- sashing each block (my usual go to method) or if you are sashing rows or columns instead, since my way would need more fabric due to more seams.
                  Lisa

                  M*QC forum is full of the best people!

                  I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

                  A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                    I buy all of my strips on ebay from one person, free shipping, it depends on what colors you want.

                    silverwoods | eBay
                    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                      Originally posted by Leah53 View Post
                      I buy all of my strips on ebay from one person, free shipping, it depends on what colors you want.

                      silverwoods | eBay
                      I do not understand how these can be sold so cheaply. Any ideas?

                      sigpic
                      Marci

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                        Originally posted by ozziepuppy View Post
                        I do not understand how these can be sold so cheaply. Any ideas?
                        She cuts her own strips and they are only 20 to a roll.
                        K is for Karen 😊​..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


                        Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                          Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                          She cuts her own strips and they are only 20 to a roll.
                          I noticed that there were fewer strips, but it is still extremely inexpensive, even if you would buy two rolls.

                          sigpic
                          Marci

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                            She does cut her own but even buying 2-20 rolls is still cheaper than buying a 40 roll. I only buy from her and she's fast with free shipping.
                            Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: 2 1/2 solid colour strips

                              yes The quilt will be massive and in Inches thats because i am making it for a 3& 1/2 seater lounge .. so when the children come to visit they can all snuggle up under it when we watch videos together . .Thanks for helping me find the solids i can so see me going on a spending spree AGAIN lol Hubby will kill me but well im sure he will be happy that im happy Quilting . I so wish the site had that app on it so we can calculate what we need .. Trying to count a quilt out just does my head in . I had no idea what size a honeybun was .I just thought it was a jellyroll named differantly .. I bought 120" Wide 200 Count Warm White Muslin Yardage x 14 thinking i would have to cut it myself ..PHewwwwwwwwww finding either jellyrolls or honeybuns in that colour will save me a lot of time . I so love this forum . Its a never ending learning lesson . Thank you everyone

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X