Quilting Jelly Roll quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Jelly Roll quilts

Do most of you stitch in the ditch on the jelly roll quilts? I sure wish I was good enough for free motion quilting but I have a lot of practicing to do before I attempt it on a quilt top that I make. What do you all think about quilting design stencils?

Re: Quilting Jelly Roll quilts

I just made a JRR2 0top, but don't know how I will quilt it yet.... STD probably, but I really am not all that great at it...

I might do wavy lines from top to bottom....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I think I am going to do decorative stitching along the seams.....
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I am so awful at stitch in the ditch (that's why most of my quilts go to the LAQ)... in fact, I just finished a baby quilt and had to remove and re-sew some of the stitch in the ditch. I can't seem to hit the ditch... consistently.... any suggestions on how to improve that?

Comment

I FMQ mine, but I did the continuous "U" shapes across them. I should have been more random like a true meander, not 100% happy with how it came out. But it does look pretty good, I'm just very critical on things I do myself! I also used the cotton-bamboo batting, and it doesn't crinkle as much as the all cotton battings do after being washed. If it had, I think I would have been very happy with the result. Live and learn.

Comment

You can quilt any number of patterns or straight lines without FMQ. A simple grid or wavy lines would look great and add dimension to the quilt.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you everyone. I just wish I was confident enough to do the FMQ right now. I think I would have more luck at succeeding with stitching in the ditch at this point. I have only practiced a little bit with stippling. However, I never have done Stitch in the ditch, so who knows, maybe I won't be good at that, but I think I will be if I take it slow. I am critical too, so I can sure see me picking it out if I am awful at it.

What I may do is, hold off on the quilting part and start practicing FMQ everyday. Maybe I can gain some confidence soon and work out a pattern that becomes second nature to me. However, when one is on a large area, I am sure it can get intimidating on where you should go next....in what directions, etc.

Any opinions on templates?

Comment

My personal opinion is following a template is harder than FMQ. Unless it is a template that has gentle curves that you could use a walking foot. The problem arises from having to control the stitches yourself rather than have the machine do it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

I like to use the serpentine stitch on my Janome 8900 for quilting jelly roll quilts. It is easy and I feel like it does a good job holding the seams by crossing over them. It looks pretty good too.

Comment

The strips are narrow enough that you could quilt with a decorative stitch on your machine. I agree with Auntiemern that stencils are more difficult that FMQing.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

The problem I had trying to quilt using a stencil is that I couldn't see the chalk line when I was going up the quilt; it disappears behind the pressure foot. Going down or sideways was easier, but it still wasn't a good as just "winging it" with FMQ. The second quilt I made was a baby quilt and having the freedom to move wherever was actually fun & I felt less pressure to try to be "perfect." Once you figure what setting are best for your machine, including the thread & needle, the rest just falls into place.

Comment

My STD. Is not great. As a result I have moved to doing a 1/4 inch stitch from the seam and that has been OK. But the suggestion of a decorative stitch on the seam sounds like the best of my options! I think I'll try that next. Thanks for all the suggestions. FMQ is in my dreams, not yet a reality. But I just retired in December so now I have the time to practice.
                        Also got a serger and a embroidery machine from a GF who was trading up to newer models. Any suggestions? Looking for single stitch embroidery patterns to do in the free spaces!,
                        sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

If you use a medium or low loft poly batting, and stitch in the ditch along the seam lines, the quilt will puff up and cover any " across the ditch" sewing. I have done a lot of mine that way. It doesn't really take that long. I would be sure to use a walking foot though!
                          Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 22, 2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                            If you use a medium or low loft poly batting, and stitch in the ditch along the seam lines, the quilt will puff up and cover any " across the ditch" sewing. I have done a lot of mine that way. It doesn't really take that long. I would be sure to use a walking foot though!
                            Thank you, Jean. I am using the cotton Warm and Natural one from JoAnn's. I may just do the stitch in the ditch with this first Jelly Roll quilt, so I can at least get one quilt done. I think I may still do the stitch in the ditch with my first quilt top made (Double slice cake), unless I find time to practice, I can feel confident enough in the near future with stencils or FMQ,ing.

Comment

Originally posted by irishrn View Post
                              My STD. Is not great. As a result I have moved to doing a 1/4 inch stitch from the seam and that has been OK. But the suggestion of a decorative stitch on the seam sounds like the best of my options! I think I'll try that next. Thanks for all the suggestions. FMQ is in my dreams, not yet a reality. But I just retired in December so now I have the time to practice.
                              Also got a serger and a embroidery machine from a GF who was trading up to newer models. Any suggestions? Looking for single stitch embroidery patterns to do in the free spaces!,
                              Let us know how it goes. Sorry I do not have any suggestions for you as I am still a newbie with this kind of sewing. I hope I can find the time as well to get good at FMQ. There is no way I can afford to take every quilt to a professional. Maybe one very special one once in awhile but not often. It is expensive enough buying the quilt materials to make them!

Comment

Working...
                              X