Hand quilters....I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand quilters....I need help!

My husband has begun construction on the Hinterberg hand quilting frame kit. We have everything we need except for an understanding of the actual size it needs to be and IF the kit I have will allow for quilting a king sized quilt!

Has anyone ever bulilt or used this frame and if so, did anyone do (or know of someone who did) a king? I really am stumped on this and neither the instructions that came with the kit or the Hinterberg website are very clear on this point!

Thanks in advance for ANY help! Xox

Re: Hand quilters....I need help!

You just need to buy poles and a cross member board of sufficient length to accommodate the largest quilt you'll be making. I put mine together maybe 20 years ago and I don't remember the dimensions. But, I did a kingsize quilt on it. You'd need to look up average dimensions for a king size and then add whatever additional length hinterberg recommends. Maybe six or eight inches to either side, I'm thinking. I haven't used mine in years and years. I once thought of getting shorter poles and cross member support, but never did. I eventually finished a lap size on it, and it seemed like such a waste of space to have all that "acerage" sitting there. But, it works great.

Keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Comment

I agree. most of the construction is in the end pieces. Then you need poles and braces about 18inches longer than your quilt is wide.
      Keep in mind that this is going to sit wherever you put it for 6 months or more. I once did a king sized double wedding ring and it took me 7 weeks of quilting 5 or 6 hours a day. Your fingertips will get sore at first and you will be taking lots of breaks. I think you also work so you won't have 5 or 6 hours every day to work on it. Hand quilting is by no means a quick process.
      Good luck.
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

You can hand quilt any size quilt on any size frame I think. I have hand quilted a king on a 15" lap frame.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

I bought a H. hoop over 15 years ago. I liked it but eventually wore it out. i still use parts of it for other things. the wood dried out and my husband had to do repairs. it was worth the money, but it was just the hoop on a stand.
          I LOVE JESUS

Comment

Working...
          X