How to use a stash of hexagon flowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use a stash of hexagon flowers

I have about 50 hand pieced hexagon flowers I inherited from my grandma. They are beautiful old fabrics and I want to make them into a small wall quilt or table topper. The biggest stumbling block for me is that the outer hexies aren't folded around any paper so the outer edges are raw. Sould I try folding the edges under somehow and then applique the flowers to a square of background fabric? I am already working on a modern grandmother's flower garden quilt so I want to do something different with these. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Re: How to use a stash of hexagon flowers

Can you post a picture of the flowers?

Comment

I have a similar inheritance and have contemplated folding the edges in and then appliqueing to a larger piece of 'vintage' type fabric. The blocks I have a re 1" hexis and quite a few have been stitched together but it is, in no way, complete. Guess it's time for me to pull the camera out, too -
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Wow, a bunch of us must have inherited these. I have a whole trunk full..some stitched together,some not. I'm going to watch this for ideas too.
        sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

I had about 60 of them and not enough to make a quilt, so I cut out background squares big enough to center the hexagon flower in and appliqued it to the center of the block. I then joined all the squares with sashing and put my borders on and it made a cute lap quilt.
          Lynn R

Comment

This book has lots of ideas for hexis plus a slightly different way to create them.
            http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Easy-Hex...on+quilt+books

Comment

I'll try to lay them out on my design wall later today. Lynn can you post a picture of your lap quilt? That sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Working...
              X