String Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Quilt

I have everything ready to start my first string quilt and I want to make the one with white in the middle that makes it look like lattice. I'm going to work on a square 9" foundation but I can't find anything that explains how to make sure the first string "white" is perfectly aligned in the center so that they all come together perfectly. It looks like in the tutorial Jeni did she just glued and eye balled it. Not sure I can do that, I need something more precise. Any ideas, anybody.
    If I fold the foundation in half should I fold the strip in half also and align the creases? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Re: String Quilt

I can't wait to make one of these too. This is my favorite tute FITF: a string quilt block tutorial ? paper pieced method | Film in the Fridge

here the lattice is green

http://filminthefridge.com/2009/02/0...-string-quilt/
    Last edited by Hulamoon; March 21, 2014, 02:10 PM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Love the green, it's beautiful but again I think she just eyeballed the strip when she put it on the paper. I can't tell you how scarry that is, what if it doesn't all line up.

Comment

You could iron the white strip in half even just at the ends so I falls on the diagonal line. That is the only thing I can think of. Make a practice block so you get comfortable with it. They look so fun to make!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think you could measure from the corner out to get them to be the same distance. 1 3/4" from the corner should center them.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Ha! I love that tutorial and it is on my list to try - I never even thought about my stripes not lining up! Oh man, I'm glad you mentioned it because I could see me sitting down, making a bunch of blocks and realizing too late that I should have been a little more careful with placement!

I think I would probably do a light fold of my paper and the middle strip and put a bunch of those on first. Get a good stack ready, then sit down and add more strips. I've heard people say it's not worth it, but I plan on buying the papers Jenny used and not using copier paper or newspaper or telephone book pages.(Wouldn't the ink get all over my fabric?) Anyway - those look like they would crease easy and give you a nice line to visualize matching your strip up with.
            Vicki
            Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

The papers from MSQC have printing on them which help you to line up your strips if you want. I didn't really worry about my whites being perfect. All my strips were different widths too. It's a scrappy quilt, it's not supposed to be all matchy-matchy (which is a Jenny technical term.)
              K is for Karen 😊​..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

You could always draw lines on your foundation paper where you want your white strip to be. Make sure that your seams on both sides of the white strip is sew on the line. But I think that if you pined your strip to make sure that your folded middle is centered to the point of the paper you are going to get as close as it gets. Sometimes we have to not over-think it and just do it.
                Lynn R

Comment

I use the 10" foundation papers from MSQC. I also use the lettering to line up my center strip. Since I don't have the glue stick Jenny uses, I just pin it. It doesn't have to be perfect. That's the whole idea of the string quilts. I just eyeball it for that center strip. I've been using leftover 2.5" wide binding strips. It takes 7 to fill the paper. If you want your blocks to be square, don't use the paper edges to trim. Use your ruler so you get an exact 10" square. I've been setting my stitch length to 2. It makes it a little easier to remove the paper. One still has to be careful to not rip stitches at the edges of the block. When I don't want to feel challenged by other projects, I like to work on the string blocks. They're quick & easy. JCY

Comment

You can do it, Becky from Texas....like K. McEuen said...it's a scrappy block (I love scrappy). Go with the flow and be creative with it.....I made this table topper for my sweet neighbor. It's quite the conversation piece at her house! Go for it, sweetie.
                    IMAG0343.jpg
                    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Anybody tried kitchen paper? Not sure if that's it's name in the US. Comes on a roll. Would it work do you think?

Comment

Having thought about it - it would probably tear easily but probably not firm enough to hold the fabric

Comment

I just winged it with mine. I like the offset stripes. I used different widths of fabric too. 37. Scrap Strip quilt for Carl Feb. 2014 (640x425).jpg
                          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I've made a couple of string quilts using muslin instead of foundation papers. I happened to come into about 10 yards of it for free so I thought I would give it a try. It also helped to used up a lot of scraps.
                            It worked quite well, no need to tear away papers, although the top was thicker than usual. I used an extra thin batting to make up for the extra thickness in the top.
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Wow you guys are awesome, I'm goin for it. I got the papers that Jeni used and I bought a honey bun in white so all my centers match. I think I can wing the whole thing except for the white strip so I'll give it a little crease with an iron before I start. Love the idea of pinning up several middles before I start so I can get that out of the way. My stepdaughter recently inherited about 7 Storage tubs of scrap fabric and I'm going to take advantage of her offer to "help myself". I'll post a picture when I get a little way into it.
                              Thanks to all of you for helping out a beginner.

Comment

Working...
                              X