Quilting Question - swirling (spinning) seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Question - swirling (spinning) seams

I'm still new to quilting, so I've never done the swirled/spinned seams, but I've been dying to ask someone - at the intersection of all those seams, where you pick out 2-3 stitches to be able to swirl the seams - that scares me! It looks like it would potentially create a hole at that intersection. How do you get that intersection seam to not unravel? Or am I overthinking it?

If it doesn't unravel - and because so many quilting experts use it, I have to believe that it doesn't - can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks!

Re: Quilting Question - swirling (spinning) seams

I do it all the time, where four seams intersect. I have never actually cut the seam threads, the corners just swirl open. I have never had any little holes form either.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I agree with Pat. I have never seen the need to snip the threads either...actually I've never found the threads TO snip. The seams just sort of swirl on their own. Eleanor Burns is big on the "snip and swirl" technique.
      Judy

Comment

Are you asking about the 4 corners coming together and you mush mush mush that Eleanor Burns does? Sometimes you don't need to pick those 2 or three threads...that's when everything just happens to be going in the right direction...It happens...sometimes...LOL.

You just pick a few threads in the seam allowance, Just enough to release it and allow it to lay flat. I think it doesn't develop into a hole because you go on to quilt it and it doesn't move. I think....I've often wondered the same question and it makes me a bit nervous to pick those little stitches out, but quilters more experienced than me say it's OK, then I assume it is OK..

Comment

Yes, I've seen Eleanor Burns do it alot (especially with picking out 2-3 stitches), but I think I've seen Jenny Doan do it too.

Thanks for the reassurances; I feel better that others have the same hesitation/worries!

Comment

I love doing this - and it makes a huge difference in my quilts laying flat.

Basically you are only pulling out the stitches between the edge and the next sewn line - so that line of sewing going left to right "stops" anything from coming apart in the up-and-down seam.

I'm explaining it in a way that when I hold it in my hands, the complete line of stitches is going across me and the short little seam I'm picking out of is sticking straight up. Hope this makes sense. I just use the pointed edge of my seam ripper (not the ripping part) to get between the layers and give a tug and it comes out easy peasy.

Comment

Cut to Pieces: Tutorial on Making a Nine Patch Block with swirled seams

This is a tutorial with good pictures for the swirl seams. I used it most recently when I did a carpenter star where you have a bunch of half square triangles converging. The swirl seams make the intersections lay much flatter and make it much easier to quilt as well. When I was quilting mine, I hit an intersection that I missed and I could tell the difference! You aren't going to make a hole in your intersection so long as you don't snip past the vertical seam line . It really does work, but takes a few tries to get the hang of. Once you get it though, you will really like it.
              My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Thank you for the tutorial. I'm a visual person and the tutorial pictures helped greatly.

Comment

When I made Eleanor's Day and Night quilt, she used this technic and it works really well. So now if ever there's a seam that I can swirl the seams I do. Here's her video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tIx...B8EF68A815892B it's at the 3:50 minute mark.

SAM_6936.jpg
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                    Thank you for the tutorial. I'm a visual person and the tutorial pictures helped greatly.
                    I'm heading over to the tutorial right now! I'm more of a visual learner too, and can't wait to see it. Thanks, Annav, for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Vickie1965 View Post
                      When I made Eleanor's Day and Night quilt, she used this technic and it works really well. So now if ever there's a seam that I can swirl the seams I do. Here's her video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tIx...B8EF68A815892B it's at the 3:50 minute mark.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71543[/ATTACH]
                      Thank you for that link. Those swirls weren't happening for me. Now I see I was cutting the wrong threads. : )
                      :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

I know everyone mentioned Eleanor Burns already, but this is my favorite little tute by her.

Twice as Nice Technique - YouTube
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                        X