Another Jelly Roll Quilt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Jelly Roll Quilt Question

The Jelly Roll Rainbow Batik quilt that I am making is turning out really pretty. However, from what I can tell, I only need to meet the ends to sew the strips together two more times. I made sure that I got a 40 piece strip roll, but it does not look like it is going to be as long (finished quilt top) as the ones Jenny made on the Youtube video and she used one roll I believe that had 40 strips. Why is this? The strips go horizontal from the top of the quilt to the bottom like it should. If I meet the ends for a third time it would be too narrow. I was careful with the 1/4 seams. I do not believe I have wrongly estimated the length it is going to be after I sew it two more times. Thank you for any answers on this.
    Last edited by HollyinWA; March 20, 2014, 10:19 AM.

Re: Another Jelly Roll Quilt Question

A 40 piece jelly roll should have 32 rows of stitched strips, and should be about 50-55" wide and 62-64" long. You would sew the single strip to make a 2 strip wide piece, the two strip wide together makes a 4, 4 together to make 8 wide/ long, 8 together to make 16 wide/ long, 16 to 32 rws wide/ long. Five times sewing the ends together to make the finished top.

If it isn't 50" wide you didn't have 40 strips to begin with. You should count them if you can.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 20, 2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
      A 40 piece jelly roll should have 32 rows of stitched strips, and should be about 50-55" wide and 62-64" long.
      Thank you, Jean. I will go look at it again and try to count what there will be after I sew it two more times.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyinWA View Post
        Thank you, Jean. I will go look at it again and try to count what there will be after I sew it two more times.
        I hope it works out for you, it sounds lovely!

Comment

It looks like it is only going to have 24 rows. You know what it could be, is, when I got the fabric in the mail, I thought the print looked a little different that what I remember...batiks like this have many that look similar. I tried to find it on Craftsy but then I could not find it so I thought maybe they were sold out and maybe I just forgot what it looked like. I tried to find the right picture shot on other sites but couldn't. I should have stuck with my first intuition. I decided to go ahead with it but did not know for sure it was wrong and did not even think about that maybe it had less strips. I believe I counted them though. Anyway, yesterday I saw an add for the very fabric I ordered on my Facebook feed for The Quilting Club and the link directed to me Craftsy. And there is was the fabric again. And sure enough I was right, the patterns are different and some of the colors. I emailed Craftsy why this would happen and just to let them know about their error. It looks like they may have put the wrong tag on the roll. Anyway, they have not yet responded as I emailed that last night. I am waiting for the response. Maybe it was a roll that has less pieces. I specifically looked for the 40 piece rolls. I do believe I counted them though when I got it, but maybe I am remembering wrong. Shoot! What a bummer as it is really pretty but really would want it longer for her bed.
          Last edited by HollyinWA; March 20, 2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Some jelly rolls have less than 40 but i think they are labeled junior jelly rolls.
            Vonnie

Comment

Yes, I made sure I ordered one that had 40 strips. I just posted a post above on why this may be. I am so bummed.

Comment

I have enjoyed Craftsy until now. There customer service has appeared awesome via email but I hate it when a company does not give a phone number!!

Comment

Ok, I laid the whole thing out and counted the strips (not the short cuts) and there looks to be forty strips. I am totally confused on why it appears that it is not going to be long enough. What am I not seeing/getting? Maybe I am wrongly judging what the finished length looks like it is going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyinWA View Post
                    Ok, I laid the whole thing out and counted the strips (not the short cuts) and there looks to be forty strips. I am totally confused on why it appears that it is not going to be long enough. What am I not seeing/getting? Maybe I am wrongly judging what the finished length looks like it is going to be.
                    that could be, and when you press your seams it gets stretched out longer. However, it will not fit a bed, it definitely be lap size, about 50-55" by 62-64". You can add borders to make it somewhat bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                      that could be, and when you press your seams it gets stretched out longer. However, it will not fit a bed, it definitely be lap size, about 50-55" by 62-64". You can add borders to make it somewhat bigger.
                      I have been pressing as I go. I am kind of a perfectionist and it bugged me not pressing inbetween sewing strips. I did know it would not be quite big enough for a cover on a twin but figured for a blanket on her bed or at least bigger than what it looks like it is going to be. I did look into the finished measurement before I decided to make it. At least it is pretty.

Comment

The first jelly roll I bought was ordered from Craftsy. I did not go to use it till several months later and that was when I discovered it had only 29 pieces!!! I had to change my plans and make a different design than what I bought it for, but I like the results. Instead of a JRR, I made a braid quilt using the small half hexi template.
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have bought jellyrolls that contain only 30 strips. You need to check the tag that came on your roll. Also, some fabric lines vary in width by an inch or two. You can always add borders to make it wider.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                            The first jelly roll I bought was ordered from Craftsy. I did not go to use it till several months later and that was when I discovered it had only 29 pieces!!! I had to change my plans and make a different design than what I bought it for, but I like the results. Instead of a JRR, I made a braid quilt using the small half hexi template.
                            That must have been a bummer. I did get a response today and this is the main part of the response to me:

"Thanks for reaching out to Craftsy. I hope you are doing well since our last conversation! Just to confirm, you did order the Bernatex Bali Batik Roll in Rainbow, correct? The batiks we sell on Craftsy are often from hand dyed lots, so they'll vary from the photo you see on the sale page but should be in a similar color scheme."

They really do have great customer service. I just wish they had a number to contact them. Sometimes I prefer telling someone the situation instead of typing it out.

The one I ordered is supposed to have 40 pieces. I made sure of that. The one I received says 40 on it as well and when I counted them on what I have sewn together to far (have 8 rows so far) there looks to be forty. I am going to recount in a bit...just got home. It may have been a different print collection and may have been tagged wrong. I can't imagine even the batiks being this off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                              I have bought jellyrolls that contain only 30 strips. You need to check the tag that came on your roll. Also, some fabric lines vary in width by an inch or two. You can always add borders to make it wider.
                              Hi, I did make sure that I ordered a roll that has 40 strips and the tag on my roll that I got said 40. I thought I had counted it when I first opened it and counted 40 but then I started to doubt there were when I started to notice that it does not look like it is going to be as long as it should be. This morning I laid out what I have sewn together so far (8 rows) and counted the strips and it looks to be forty. I did not count the cut part of the strips. I am going to recount this evening to make sure, because if there really are forty strips I just cannot figure out why it is not going to be longer unless I am off in calculating what it is going to be when I get done joining them together. as far as I can telly I have to join two more times unless I make it really narrow. I am going to sew the rest in a bit and will know for sure then.

Comment

Working...
                              X