sewing on borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sewing on borders

when I sew my border on it doesn't seem to lay flat, it wants to have like waves in it I guess thats how to explain it, this quilting can be hard, but I'm loving what I'm learning from all of you, thanks so much.

Re: sewing on borders

Here you go: Border Hints and Tricks

I like to measure mine this way and have no problems.
    Vonnie

Comment

Quilty has two good videos on squaring up and adding borders. Here's the link to part 1. Part 2 is episode 221.

http://www.qnntv.com/videos/1072_squaring-up-borders/

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post

This is the way I measure for borders also. I make mine mitered.
        Cathryn

Comment

Keep trying different ways til you find the one that works for you. I like to measure both sides and down the center. they are usually pretty close. I like to apply the side borders first then top/bottom. bordermeasure1.jpg
          [SIGPIC]sigpicCarol
          Blonde Biker Quilts
          Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.:icon_woohoo:

Comment

This is good advice for adding any kind of long strips on a quilt once you get out a ways, things just start to stretch and it is like truing up your quilt, much like squaring up your blocks.

I really wish I had remembered this method when I was putting the stripes on the baby quilt I'm working on. It's sort of a log cabin type, and one side is giving me fits as I try to stitch in the ditch and if I would have just trued up one strip.....ARGH!

Comment

I always had wavy borders till i did this method. One comment Marianne Fons makes in the Quilty video is this is more like reining in the excess fullness when the sides end up uneven. This usually is more of an issue when you are working with bias edge blocks. One of my first quilts with bias edges will forever remain unquilted for this reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                One of my first quilts with bias edges will forever remain unquilted for this reason!
                Jean, I had to smile when I read this because that very first quilt that I did, I had those setting triangles on the edge (didn't know that probably not the easiest for a first) and IF i had known what I know now, I would have never finished it either. As it was, I just dived in there and stretched and trimmed and wiggled and basically manhandled that (darn) quilt until it had straight edges and was mostly squared. It' is definitely a quilt to be viewed in a dim room!

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post

I do my borders this way too. It works great!
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I also do mine this way. It's been explained and explained and explained to me why it works and I just don't understand, but it does.....
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've read that you should use the lengthwise cut of fabric (the fabric that runs parallel to the selvage) as opposed the width of fabric (which is I usually end up doing.) It is less stretchy. However, I don't and haven't had problems with my borders. Also, if you are using setting triangles on your quilt top, try to cut them so that the bias is against your block and not along the border side. Daniela from Cozy Quilt explains this in one of her tutorials for Strip Club. She also sells a ruler that is supposed to make cutting those setting triangles a breeze.

Comment

Thank you!! I have not sewn a quilt for a year. Today, as I started cutting my borders, I decided I did not know what I was doing. Thanks to you I can proceed.

Comment

Working...
                        X