Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't seem to sew my strips together without them seeming to have a bow or curve in center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't seem to sew my strips together without them seeming to have a bow or curve in center

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong still learning to quilt, but when I cut my strips and sew them together I seem to get a curve or bow in the center what am I doing wrong?

Re: can't seem to sew my strips together without them seeming to have a bow or curve in center

Are you sewing multiple strips together? If that is what you are doing, sew one on from left to right and the next on from right to left. This will cancel out the bowing.

Comment

Re: can't seem to sew my strips together without them seeming to have a bow or curve in center

Is the bow in the center of the strip before sewing? You may be cutting fabric that hasn't been straightened and are winding up with an elbow at the center fold. OR, if you are sewing long strips together make certain you are starting from one end and reversing the opposite direction - if you start on the same end every time you will wind up with wavy strips.

http://www.qnntv.com/videos/1156_qui...ps-accurately/

5 Quilting Mistakes (and How to Fix Them)
      Last edited by Sandy Navas; March 20, 2014, 07:29 AM.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thank you, my you all be blessed with days of unexpected miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by thompsoncarol9 View Post
          Thank you, my you all be blessed with days of unexpected miracles.
          What a lovely blessing....wish I had known how to fix your problem!!

Comment

well, this was a timely question-I was going to be sewing strips together tonight and would never thought to have sewn in alternating directions. One less "mistake" I would have made.

Comment

Another thing that can warp your strip sets is pressing them by laying them lengthwise on your ironing board. Try laying them across the width of your board and press and move them, press and move them.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                Another thing that can warp your strip sets is pressing them by laying them lengthwise on your ironing board. Try laying them across the width of your board and press and move them, press and move them.
                Thanks for this... I never would have thought of it!

Comment

I have used both the tips above...pressing and stitching...they work.
                  I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                  Lorraine

Comment

What else can help is to finger press carefully first before using the iron...less chance of warping the strips with the iron...it helped me allot and I couldn't believe the difference it made!

Comment

It also helps to sew strips that are no longer than 22". I've never done a Jelly Roll Race. But I find the fabric more manageable to have the shorter strips. JCY

Comment

Wow! Good info. Wish I had known this a week ago. Thanks, Gals.

Comment

Working...
                        X