For those with a PC-420.... question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those with a PC-420.... question

Do you sew from the left position or did you adjust it? I noticed in the manual that the feet have a left groove and the needle plate markings are marked from the left position. Do you just "get used to it"?
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: For those with a PC-420.... question

I use a 1/4" foot with a guide and put my needle in the middle position, that gives me a quarter inch seam. Actually I have to put it in the middle for the 1/4" foot or the needle will hit the foot.

You can try whatever foot you're going to use and measure to see where the 1/4" inch is.
    Last edited by buckeyequilter; March 19, 2014, 06:00 PM.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
      I use a 1/4" foot with a guide and put my needle in the middle position, that gives me a quarter inch seam. Actually I have to put it in the middle for the 1/4" foot or the needle will hit the foot.

You can try whatever foot you're going to use and measure to see where the 1/4" inch is.
      I appreciate the help. I do have a 1/4" foot with a guide on my Brother XR-65T that I believe will be able to be used on the PC-420.

Can the straight stitch be programmed to do a locking stitch in the beginning and end of a line? All the book said was that it can be used on some stitches.
      Hugs,
      Joanne

Comment

I haven't found a way to program it to start in the middle. I have just gotten into the habit of pushing the button to put it in the middle when I turn it on....sometimes I forget. I haven't found a locking stitch...I bring my threads to the top and take a few small stitches.

Comment

Ditto what Shirley said. On both questions. My machine has been used a lot for 2+ years and I'm still happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by yeeehawterri View Post
            Ditto what Shirley said. On both questions. My machine has been used a lot for 2+ years and I'm still happy with it.
            I'm still happy with my machine too. I've had mine for about a 1 1/2 years now. Love the threader

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
              Love the threader
              Sadly, I haven't been able to master the threader, have only been able to do it once. Good thing I can still see to hit the hole!

Comment

Do you also center the needle?
                Hugs,
                Joanne

Comment

Also Ladies, do you use your foot pedal more or the start/stop button?
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

Comment

I center my needle. Have never used the plate markings. I found it very awkward to use the button instead of the peddle at first, but now I only use the button. I'm just used to it I guess. Might break out the peddle soon and give it a try.

Comment

I use my foot pedal with the 420. I have a brother embroidery machine and I use the button on that one.

Comment

I also use the 1/4" piecing foot for my machine which only has a center hole so I have to remember to switch the setting every time or else I break a needle. Eek!

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                        I appreciate the help. I do have a 1/4" foot with a guide on my Brother XR-65T that I believe will be able to be used on the PC-420.

Can the straight stitch be programmed to do a locking stitch in the beginning and end of a line? All the book said was that it can be used on some stitches.
                        Look at stitch 57 and 58...they are quilting piecing stitches and can be programmed to use the locking stitch at the beginning and end. The chart that starts on page 128 in your manual shows whether they use the reverse stitch or reinforcement/locking stitch.

Sadly, I haven't been able to master the threader, have only been able to do it once. Good thing I can still see to hit the hole!
                        Something must be wrong with yours I LOVE the needle threader on my PC420...it has worked every single time for me. I have issues with the one on my 1500 though. That one gives me fits.

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                        Also Ladies, do you use your foot pedal more or the start/stop button?
                        I thought I really wanted a start/stop button on my machine. I found it awkward though. I don't like taking my hands and eyes off my work to press it! So I never use it.
                        Lori

Comment

Great advice Ladies. Last night I managed to read 3 pages before I zonked out. At this rate I should have the book read by my NEXT birthday.
                          Hugs,
                          Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by laf512 View Post
                            Something must be wrong with yours I LOVE the needle threader on my PC420...it has worked every single time for me. I have issues with the one on my 1500 though. That one gives me fits.

I thought I really wanted a start/stop button on my machine. I found it awkward though. I don't like taking my hands and eyes off my work to press it! So I never use it.
                            I also love the 420 threader and the 1500 gives me fits.

Same here, don't like taking my hands and eyes off my work to push the button. I also have to start and stop when lining up the pieces.

Comment

I dn't have this machine, but I have read that there IS a way to fix it so the needle always starts in the middle.... Call Brother... They will know how to do this.... I wonder why they didn't just have it in the middle in the first place....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X