A newbie mistake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A newbie mistake.

I have been working on a Disappearing 4 Patch for the past month or so. I was at the fabric store yesterday and purchased additional thread. I got home and I purchased 100% cotton thread, but when I looked at the machine I had Poly/Cotton thread I have been using. Would it make a difference? Should I save the cotton thread for something else? Is using the Poly/Cotton going to cause a problem with my cotton material down the road?

Please let me know what you think.

Here are pics of the blocks I am to the point of putting the sashing on them.

GEDC0078.JPGGEDC0079.JPGGEDC0080.JPG

I hope I haven't screwed up too much.

Re: A newbie mistake.

Anymore I sew with 100% cotton thread, but that wasn't always the case. When I was first starting out, I used what I had on hand and things I made then have held up just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about using what you bought, even if it is mixing thread types. I know people that piece with 100% cotton and then quilt with polyester thread.

I've just found that my machines seem to like the 100% cotton thread the best.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

My personal opinion, it totally doesn't matter if you change threads during piecing. I use all different kinds of thread for piecing & have never had any problems.
      I would say as long as your machine likes your thread, you are good to go... But I don't sweat the small stuff when I quilt..
      Others may have different opinions.
      May the road rise up to meet you...
      May the wind be always at your back...
      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I don't think it matters if you mix your threads. Like the others said, as long as your machine is happy-the thread is fine.

Great quilt!!!!

Comment

If your machine likes it go for it. I use a variety of different threads and have never had an issue. I can understand if you are doing a show quilt or quilt of valor, but every day things i say its fine.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'm using poly and not worrying about it at all. I did read up about it and a few folk said not to use it as it would cut through, but they're in the minority. From what I can gather, using poly is fine.
            I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
            Lorraine

Comment

Looks gorgeous :-)
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm not a thread snob, either. If the color is right then I go for it. I do pick some threads depending on the use, but whatever is in the machine usually makes it into my quilts.
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I use both kinds of thread and have no problems...but I have to say, your quilt is going to be gorgeous!! Beautiful work!!!

Comment

Right now I'm quilting with 100 percent cotton thread in the bobbin and polyester embroidery thread on top. I like how it's shiny! As mentioned above, as long as it's not destined for a quilt show I don't see a problem.

BTW your blocks are really pretty.
                    Vonnie

Comment

I just signed up for a retreat at MS*, and when talking about what supplies to bring Jean said thread for the projects. She then said it didn't matter what kind or color and asked if I had noticed in the tutorials that Jenny uses whatever she has/wants for piecing. Normally a neutral, but not always, and not always cotton. If that rule is good enough for Jenny, it's good enough! I would use what you bought, I think it will be fine.

PS- your DP4 looks great!

Comment

Bob, You will be fine mixing your threads. I prefer using 100% cotton thread but if I need a certain color and I have it in polyester I go ahead and use it. I recently fell in love with Aurifil cotton thread, 50 weight, and love how it sews and how little lint it gives off. It's quite expensive as far as I'm concerned so I only buy it in white, tan and gray. For everything else I buy the cotton thread from Connecting Threads which comes in ever so many colors and is reasonably priced.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I think it will be fine. You are talking about for the piecing, right? Use what you have on hand. No one will know but you. I use almost exclusively cotton thread from Connecting Threads for piecing and quilting. Your quilt looks great btw.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

You should be fine. If you choose to use a different top thread than the bottom (bobbin) thread, you may have to adjust your tension depending upon what machine you are using.

Comment

It won't matter at all..... And, your blocks look great!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X