Seam Pressing Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seam Pressing Help?

I like to press my seams as I go but maybe I need to change my tune. I was pressing all my seams open and was pleased with results until someone pointed out you can't Stitch in the Ditch because it cuts the threads. If the directions tell me which way to press I'm fine. But what about when you are designing your own or the directions don't specify. Do you just wait to press until you are all done. I've heard "Press to the dark" but that can still end up with twisted seams and I prefer mine to lay flat.

Re: Seam Pressing Help?

Sometimes when there are lots of seams, I'll press to the dark side and when doing rows, I'll press one row in one direction and change it for the next row so they will nest together. Once in a while I come across one that needs to be changed so my seams will lay flat so I just change it as I go and press again when I'm done sewing. It's difficult when there are many seams and you can't always get them to go in the same direction. When this happens I make it twist in the middle so it doesn't seem so bulky. Not sure if any of this makes sense, but it works for me. Good luck.
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Madeforyouinma11 View Post
      Sometimes when there are lots of seams, I'll press to the dark side and when doing rows, I'll press one row in one direction and change it for the next row so they will nest together. Once in a while I come across one that needs to be changed so my seams will lay flat so I just change it as I go and press again when I'm done sewing. It's difficult when there are many seams and you can't always get them to go in the same direction. When this happens I make it twist in the middle so it doesn't seem so bulky. Not sure if any of this makes sense, but it works for me. Good luck.
      This is what I do also.
      Vonnie

Comment

I press my seams open because I like the look better. Then, while watching some of Leah Day's videos, she mentioned that she presses seams open. I felt like she gave me a big OK! I stitch in the ditch a lot. Haven't had a cut seam yet. Do what works best and feels best for you. You've got to be happy with your work.

Comment

Originally posted by sassygranny View Post
          I press my seams open because I like the look better. Then, while watching some of Leah Day's videos, she mentioned that she presses seams open. I felt like she gave me a big OK! I stitch in the ditch a lot. Haven't had a cut seam yet. Do what works best and feels best for you. You've got to be happy with your work.
          This is great news to me and you are the first person I've talked to who has actually stitched in the ditch when pressing open. Do you take a shorter stitch length? I do when pressing open. I think Leah Day ought to know what she is talking about. I'll go google her. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Comment

I thought SITD was in the actual seam too, but have since found out...it isn't. It is just slightly to the right or left of the seam "ditch". I always did it in the seam and the hardest part is sewing as straight as that seam is...VERY HARD!!! To the point I just stopped doing it as it was just to hard to make the stitch line straight. But being able to line something up WITH the seam line and just stitch to the right/left an 1/8th inch..sure made a difference and helped alot and looks just fine...better than crooked lines in the seam. THat's just my point of view tho...others may differ.

I don't like pressing all to one side as it is just to time consuming and tedious to press one row to one side, and the next row to the other side, and then when I'd sew rows together, no matter how careful I thought i was to pressing opposite...it would always come up with both pressed the same way and having to re press etc. Open seams, they are all the same way so no problem

Plus it was hard to make sure the bottom one was the one pressed the direction of the presser foot and not fold backwards. With open seams. that problem exists, but because the seam allowance is just one thickness, I don't have tha problem much...sometimes and then it is my own fault for not pinning properly!

And...the thickness of the pressed side to side seams...just seemed to thick once I was FMQ'ing. Granted, there is the same number of "allowances" to be sewn with the top but for some reason, the side to side was harder to FMQ over and keep my line design stitches straight, than to be sewing over the 3 "allowances" for the open seams.

And...I pin the open seams so much better for exact matching than I do the side to side. Something about that tad bit of bulk that doenst' agree with me I guess!

This is just my preference... but with the STID cutting the threads of the open seams...I don't think that is that much true, as you have 2 rows of the threads....and seems to be the STID threads would inter-twine with the two row seams, plus the top FMQ stitches gives strength and support. I do try to FMQ over seams closely as my design allows...kind of plan ahead a bit to make sure I go over seams good.

Again, just my preference!
            Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Most of the patterns I've used (nearly all by Australian designers) give detailed pressing instructions at each stage and/or for blocks. For JR quilts I press them all the same way and then SITD.
              Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Madeforyouinma11 View Post
                This is also how I do it.
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

I brought my latest top to a newly found long-armer for quilting. She was relieved to see that I pressed to one side or another, as opposed to pressing seams open. Seems (pardon the pun) that makes her job more difficult...

I use the method Madeforyouinma11 and Iris shared.
                  I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                  It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I'm a press-as-you-go gal. If a direction needs to be changed when sewing rows together, I re-press then. I press to one side or the other depending on the situation. When doing HSTs, I usually press all seams open to reduce bulk. When laying out the rows, I label the beginning block of each row with a number as well as an arrow for which way the seams are pressed. It's makes it easier when sewing everything together. JCY

Comment

Working...
                    X