Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curved rows what am I doing wrong???

Hi everyone,

I am very new to sewing and quilting, but I do enjoy it and as funny as that may seem coming from a 27 year old male. Some of the surprised looks I get while shopping for fabric in my local fabric stores is quite amusing, but anyways to the point.

I have made two quilts so far and they have turned out good, but a problem I have been running into and while on my third quilt have started to run into as well is after I square my fabric up and I cut it to my desired width. After I unfold the fabric and start to make my secondary cuts. I have been noticing that from the fold line my fabric always have a slight bow in it on both ends from the fold line and it is frustrating not getting a square up block to work with attached is a picture/ diagram that will hopefully show what I am talking about. any help in getting a this minor problem fixed would be greatly appreciated. as I had to do a lot of trimming and squaring up on my last quilt top as a whole losing about 2-3 inches on either side. Now that I am working on my sons quilt and I got my half square triangles cut, but before it was too late I noticed my fabric was doing the same thing again and my blocks werent lining up as the should.

Here is the diagram i am talking about, cutting problem!.jpg
    I should note that I believe I am squaring up my fabric as I double check with another square to make sure everything is still lining up.

Once again any advice would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    Tyson

Re: Curved rows what am I doing wrong???

Jenny mentioned something about this in one of her tutorials. Sorry but I do not know which one it was. Had to do with the fold not being even causing the bow.

Comment

This issue normally happens from not having a straight cutting edge on your fabric. Before you begin cutting align the edges of the selvedges and smooth out your fabric, making sure the whole surface is smooth. Trim off the cutting edge to make sure it is straight. If you are cutting strips, re-trim the edge after every few cuts. I re-trim my edges after 3 cuts.

Straightening your fabric can take a few attempts. If your fabric doesn't hang straight and flat after putting the selvedges together, slide the top selvedge to the right or left until the fabric falls straight and flat. Peek underneath the top fabric layer before you straighten your edge for the first time. Sometimes fabric may need to be trimmed an inch or more to straighten it up.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

When you lay your fabric on your cutting mat, make sure the fold is straight on a line with the fold facing you. Now, when you lay your ruler on the fabric to cut the fabric make sure that a line on your ruler is straight along the fold. Square up the edge and then cut your first strip. Check that first strip before you cut more to make sure you don't have what we call "a dog leg". Hope that makes sense and is helpful.
        Welcome to the forum! And just so you know, there are other guys on here too. Don't forget to share your projects with us!
        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Squaring up your fabric may (or may not) be the issue. Here's a video showing what you need to do to square up your fabric prior to cutting. Squaring up Fabric - YouTube

Comment

Thanks to everyone who answered this question! I was having a similar problem, but thought I was squaring up my fabric correctly. Turns out I was skipping an important step, whoops! Thanks again

Comment

Thanks everyone! Cutting scares me almost to the point to not do anything.

Comment

Welcome to the both of you! Yes and please share your quilts and projects
                ­čî║ Lorie

Comment

I would add an additional step to that video. When you make sure the bottom fold is straight on a line of the ruler, make sure that the top fold is also straight on the line of the ruler.

I personally like to use my 6X24 ruler with a suction cup holder and just do one fold making sure that the fold is straight on a line on the ruler. And even though I have a large cutting table with a large mat, I still use my 18X24 inch mat so I can easily rotate my fabric like she does in the video.
                  Vonnie

Comment

Thank you to everyone who commented sure appreciate the help and the video

Comment

I didn't watch the video, but my early quilt teachers had me hold the folded fabric up in the air with the fold hanging down and I had to ease the fabric over until it hung straight then place it on the mat to smooth smooth.

The problem is, it's often cut a bit crookedand off the grain line at the shop.

Comment

Another great tool is the June Tailor Ruler, the large one is pricey but with a 50% off coupon plus a 15 or 20% entire off coupon it's not bad. It eliminates that wave at the fold in the middle of your strip.

Plus you can cut triangles, diamonds quickly too. Here's her video on it...

June Tailor® Shape Cut? Ruler Demonstration Video - YouTube
                        sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your works of art.

I had the same problem when I started quilting. I took a class and the instructor insisted each of us purchase a June Tailor Shape Cut Plus ruler. It is the best investment I have ever made. I don't think they have the "plus" in Joann Fabrics but it can be purchased online. I have noticed many local quilt shops carry them.
                          Robin
                          My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Working...
                          X