Rotary Cutter Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary Cutter Troubles

Well, yesterday I had to change my rotary cutters blade and it is an Olfa brand, 45mm and thats the exact blade i replaced it with. However now when I put it back together it is wobbly. I tried the washer in both directions. Anyone had that happen and was able to fix it or is it just kaput and I need to get a new one?
    Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Re: Rotary Cutter Troubles

Hi Jess.......Check to see that you don't have 2 blades stuck together.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Did you try turning the nut over? on my cutters the nut will only work in one direction.

Comment

Check to make sure the washer is seated right. It has a squared/rectangular hole in it and must be put down over the post all the way.
        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I had this problem too. Then I found this site and discovered I had put the cutter back together the wrong way.

http://www.joann.com/on/demandware.s...ting_guide.pdf

Comment

If you get a new one, get the turquiose and yellow one, no nut or screw, a clip that's attached to the handle permanently holds the blade tight! Super easy!

Comment

Oh thanks everyone! These are things to definitely see if I goofed up with. Thank you all!!
              Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                If you get a new one, get the turquiose and yellow one, no nut or screw, a clip that's attached to the handle permanently holds the blade tight! Super easy!
                I bought one of those after seeing Jenny using it and I do like it, but have cut my index finger twice because I put my finger on top of the blade accidentally. I have to learn to be more careful as the blade is exposed at the top, and if I mean to put my finger on the guide and miss it, it can really hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jess1377 View Post
                  Well, yesterday I had to change my rotary cutters blade and it is an Olfa brand, 45mm and thats the exact blade i replaced it with. However now when I put it back together it is wobbly. I tried the washer in both directions. Anyone had that happen and was able to fix it or is it just kaput and I need to get a new one?
                  Jess, I have the same problem and have the same cutter. Mine is on correctly, no extra blade and etc. I just deal with it and tighten it every few cuts. It is such a pain in the tushie but these rascals are expensive! I do not like the brands my Mom has - I think they are dritz. Tough as a monkey's toe to switch the blades out. If yours is new, perhaps exchange for a new one. Mine is too old, as in several years. It's on my list of something to purchase this year.
                  Sewing mends the soul.
                  sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                  Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                  ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by feffertim View Post
                    I bought one of those after seeing Jenny using it and I do like it, but have cut my index finger twice because I put my finger on top of the blade accidentally. I have to learn to be more careful as the blade is exposed at the top, and if I mean to put my finger on the guide and miss it, it can really hurt.
                    I have the yellow cutter similar to Jenny's and mine has two blade guards, one for right-handed and one for left-handed cutting.

Comment

I've had the same problem from time to time, but it's usually my own fault for putting the washer on upside down. It's curved like a little cowboy hat and should be curled upward to place onto the stem. I've also put the nut back on with the wrong side. Both sides are threaded, but only one side of the nut makes it fit properly. And, believe it or not, I once put the whole thing back together on the wrong side of the handle! All my Olfa cutters are old. When they don't work right, I know it's something that I did. I've actually never had a bad cutter, mistakes have all been my own doing.

Take it apart and start from scratch. how to replace blade in olfa rotary cutter - Bing Videos

Comment

Relatively speaking, how often are you finding that you would need to replace the blades? Any rule of thumb?
                        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                          Relatively speaking, how often are you finding that you would need to replace the blades? Any rule of thumb?
                          Personally, I find I don't change mine nearly as often enough as I should. I'll continue to push harder and harder until I notice my mat isn't healing itself properly, and my hand hurts LOL. But if I get a nick in my blade by either running over a pin or staple, I'll change immediately.

Comment

Working...
                          X