X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LadyGray
    replied
    Re: Thick seams

I'm still new to quilting, so I've never done the swirled seams, but I've been dying to ask someone - at the intersection of all those seams, where you pick out 2-3 stitches to be able to swirl the seams - that scares me! It looks like it would potentially create a hole at that intersection. How do you get that intersection seam to not unravel? Or am I overthinking it?

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

Ok, so this is what I understood from these discussions - Pressing seams to one side or pressing them open are both acceptable methods. It really depends on what you want - color to not show or a neater finish.

If you are going to press the seams open, do not use SITD method to quilt it.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

Originally posted by Kateskloset View Post
    I am also making the same quilt this week, I pressed my seams open, it just makes a neater quilt top and it lays flat when pressed.
    I agree. I am not making that quilt, but any quilt I make, having tried both ways...open just makes for a better seam to be matched and sewn over. And FMQ aids in the strength issue.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

You know, if you like open seams, there is nothing wrong with using the serpentine (wavy) stitch or a zigzag stitch then just aim it down the center of the seam. This way it catches the seams on both sides and anchors it down. Very good in a child's quilt that you know will be washed many times. My oldest son has a baby quilt that my step mother made by hand and hand quilted. Beautiful quilt. But, every time I had to wash it, I had to pull out needle and thread and hand sew some seams back together.

Leave a comment:

• Doloris
    replied

whether you press to the side or open them you are still sewing through 4 layers of fabric.

Leave a comment:

• SilverNeedle
    replied

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
    That's why I always press open. It is also easier (for me at least) to match the seams more perfectly.
    I was always pressing open also until someone pointed out to me you can't do Stitch in the Ditch on this seam. There is no fabric to hold onto so the quilting needle just cuts the seam threads. I have had no problems quilting edge to edge patterns.
    Last edited by SilverNeedle; March 19th, 2014, 05:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brenmar
    replied

Open or to the side? Doesn't is depend on the colour of the fabric? I've always understood that open seams will show if you're using a light fabric. I've noticed that even with, say, Moda cream will show through cream.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

I just remembered something. Leah Day said to shorten your stitch length if you press open. Less chance of batting shifting through the seams.

Leave a comment:

• Jackiequilts
    replied

I have always pressed open, an expert show quilter told me she did too. I'm teaching a friend and I told her pressing open went against the 'rules' but I've just never been able to get the seams to 'nest' by pressing to the sides. And then, with several seams that join, I would end up with the seams going in the same direction and not opposite, it was just too frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• sassygranny
    replied

I'm another who presses open. If it's good enough for Leah Day, it's good enough for me! So much easier to match when they're pressed open. Bulky seams frustrate me too much!

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

I am also making the same quilt this week, I pressed my seams open, it just makes a neater quilt top and it lays flat when pressed.

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

1. Change the needle
    2. Use walking foot
    3. Increase the number on the dial that indicates pressure of the foot
    4. Proceed to quilt slowly, as you get near the seams

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

I've gotten out my walking foot before for really thick seams. It makes life so much easier.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Cut to Pieces: Tutorial on Making a Nine Patch Block with swirled seams
    A Few Loose Threads » Blog Archive » Spinning those seams
    Couple of examples of how to swirl the seams.

Leave a comment:

• icul8rg8r
    replied

Use a fresh, sharp needle and your walking foot (or if you own a Pfaff simply engage the IDT!) - with the IDT I can pretty much quilt through anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X