adjust material requirements to make a pattern larger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjust material requirements to make a pattern larger

Ok, so I'm considering what to do for my oldest DD's quilt but the patterns I like are all for lap size quilts. How do I figure out how much more yardage I will need to make a queen size. I'm using charm packs and I'm sure I have enough of those, but I also need sashing material. If the lap size quilt (3 charm packs) calls for 1 3/4 yards of background, how do I figure out how much I need for 8 charm packs?
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    Thank you

Re: adjust material requirements to make a pattern larger

It would be an easier question to answer if we knew what pattern it was. Going on number of charm packs involved, I would guestimate at least 4 yards of background fabric. Maybe 4.5 just to be safe.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I guess the pattern might be useful information.
      lol
      I'm debating between the Garden Party, and the Lattice.
      I have 9 charm packs in the This N That line and thought about using one of the blue's instead of white for the sashing because she wants blue as a focus color. But then I thought I might just use blue for the border instead because I think the blue blocks with blue sashing would get lost.
      Was hoping there was some way of figuring out how to increase fabric requirements for future reference.
      Thanks

Comment

When I did this for the fabric for my daughters, I asked for help, and we ended up doubling what the lap sized requirements were. If it is made of blocks, figure out how many blocks it will take to make the size you want and you should be able to easily figure it out. If in doubt, ask the shop workers, they will help you.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

When I back a queen size quilt, I use at least 6 yards, and if it is wider than 85". Then you need 7-1/2 yards.

Comment

Working...
          X