New Wedding quilt problem....HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Wedding quilt problem....HELP!!

I asked for help about a month ago on how to finish this quilt...but then realizing I needed more fabric, I needed more beige, which has gold sparkles in it, and the maroon print is what I was short on. I just went back to Joann's and of course, they didn't have either of those...but they did have the blue and green, so got a yard of each...just in case. I bought some solid beige that matches the beige in the quilt, just without the gold sparkles, thinking as a border it would be okay.

WRONG! What I forgot I was going to do with the sparkle beige, was make a border to complete the star block that the joining squares make in the middle of the quilt. Green and the beige would be all I needed and the quilt would have the stars as the border and the solid maroon for the border.

I just sewed it together this morning and put it on my design wall...and BOOM... one glance and I realized it still wasn't going to work. I can't mix the sparkle beige with the solid beige to form a star! Can't have a star that is half gold sparkle and half not!

The pictures show the full top in the middle, 9, 18x18" blocks. Since no extra beige, I can't make the quilt bigger by making 3 more blocks, which was another issue I wanted to solve with more fabric. So I am stuck with this size...Picture on left is a full block on the outer sides where I intended to make beige and green HST to form the other half of the star all around for the border. But no gold sparkle beige and I can't do that and half a gold sparkle beige and half solid beige stars would look stupid. The pic on the right is close up of ow the star looks when the blocks were put together.

So...any suggestions on the best way to deal with the borders now showing half a star? I have the solid beige, and green and blue and maroon, but no maroon print or sparkle beige.

I have to decide quick as it has to be done by last week of march so I can mail it to get to bride no later than April 3
    Attached Files
    Last edited by coffeebreak; March 17, 2014, 01:58 PM.
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: New Wedding quilt problem....HELP!!

it's hard to see your fabric in the pics - maybe JoAnn's online might have it??

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
      it's hard to see your fabric in the pics - maybe JoAnn's online might have it??
      I did check there, but no, they don't have it either. I bought the beige back in december, but I bought 2 yards and I thought that'd be enough with the other colors for larger. I know prints change nearly constantly, but I didn't think solids and generic colors change that often so I was surpised that the beige was not available. I can deal without the maroon print.. just the beige that is the problem in completing a block.
      Cheri

Comment

I'm sorry you weren't able to find your material. That's so frustrating. I would probably just use what material you have to make borders if you want the quilt to be larger and forget about trying to finish the stars. I'm sure it would look great if you could finish the stars in the border but most quilts that I have seen that form a secondary design they just leave it unfinished at the edges. Did that make sense? Good luck. I'm sure they will love it regardless. It seems we are always our worst critics!
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

The quilt with the half stars along the edges looks fine. Trust me, it does not look unfinished. You really do not need to complete those stars. Go ahead and add the borders. I would recommend using the green for borders to make the stars pop. The bride will love it :-)
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by vchale View Post
            I'm sorry you weren't able to find your material. That's so frustrating. I would probably just use what material you have to make borders if you want the quilt to be larger and forget about trying to finish the stars. I'm sure it would look great if you could finish the stars in the border but most quilts that I have seen that form a secondary design they just leave it unfinished at the edges. Did that make sense? Good luck. I'm sure they will love it regardless. It seems we are always our worst critics!
            Thanks VC. I guess I'll just have to do that. I learned a lesson tho...if no sashing...check how it is going to look once sewn together..they make a whole new design that way! Now...to figure what border!
            Cheri

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
              The quilt with the half stars along the edges looks fine. Trust me, it does not look unfinished. You really do not need to complete those stars. Go ahead and add the borders. I would recommend using the green for borders to make the stars pop. The bride will love it :-)
              Thanks Preeti... thank you for saying that. I look at it now and it just looks unfinished. But since you don't see it that way, maybe the bride won't either! I learned a new lesson. I usually sash everything, but this time, I put them together. Never thought a whole new pattern would emerge once combined! Next time, I'll have to make sure I think that far ahead and make appropriate measures! Do you have any thoughts on what "kind" or pattern of border? I was hoping to use more green and even the blue. I shoudl have put a muted pink in there to lighten it all up...looks so dark now. Oh well, to late to be thinking about that!
              Cheri

Comment

Cheri,

Your pattern is fine. I like it already :-)
                Borders - You could use triple borders - inside green, middle beige and outside red.
                Or you could use one print (red/beige) not too busy. And add an outer black border.

Whatever you pick, it will be beautiful.
                Dark Patterns are great - they don't stain easily :-)
                Preeti
                http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
                  Cheri,

Your pattern is fine. I like it already :-)
                  Borders - You could use triple borders - inside green, middle beige and outside red.
                  Or you could use one print (red/beige) not too busy. And add an outer black border.

Whatever you pick, it will be beautiful.
                  Dark Patterns are great - they don't stain easily :-)
                  Thanks so much Preeti. I have it on my design wall an just sit for a bit looking at it all day long! I was thinking some kind of flying geese type blocks for the border, but I think that would be to many points in to many directions! I think I will go with as you suggest with the three color borders, and just lay it out and see which order looks best. The couple live in Napa Valley in California which is wine country and they like their wine at home so I was going for "wine colors"...but I dont' think I made it! THe blue would have been better a dark pink, but blue is what is in that print so I thought it'd match. But it just made it so dark. But It'll be fine... I am my own worst critique and since this gal knows nothing about any kind of hand craft, she will love it no matter what...she isn't going to be critiquing it like I do...odds are she won't even notice the side stars anyway! Thanks for your suggestions
                  Cheri

Comment

I'm with Preeti, on this. It doesn't look unfinished to me, just in need of borders!
                    Great job!
                    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Originally posted by New York Sue View Post
                      I'm with Preeti, on this. It doesn't look unfinished to me, just in need of borders!
                      Great job!
                      Thanks NYSue...I am going to use do just borders as Preeti suggested. I am being to critical of myself, especially since I changed the design in the middle of the show! Thanks for the encouragement!
                      Cheri

Comment

Working...
                      X