Question: Bunching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Bunching

Question: have made a baby quilt using charms and tumbler…cute! Easy! Added a border and instead of working with binding, decided to flip it.
    Started to stitch in ditch (working from the middle to the outside-side to side-up and down, working in different directions)…however…I have some ‘bunching wrinkles’ where there looks like too much fabric and not enough batting.
    Solution? Take out stitch in the ditch stitching? Or live with it?
    Thanks....I'm learning!
    ~ Debby

It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive. It's MY LIFE!"

Jon Bon Jovi
    :icon_hi:

Re: Question: Bunching

Can you post a picture?
    There is always going to be some movement of fabric when you quilt. Things that will help keep things smooth are making sure that your backing and batting are larger than your top, then you can trim it down after quilting is done. I'm not sure if you did that to start or not. Also, make sure you're using a walking foot. This will help pull both the top and bottom together and cause less bunching. Also, make sure that you've pinned it really well before you start. When I'm doing straight lines, I start on the outside edge of the middle and make that line, then I work to the right of that line, making sure to constantly smooth out my top and bottom so it doesn't bunch up.
    Without seeing a pic, I can't tell you if you should take it out or leave it. It depends how bunched up it is. If it's a wrinkle here and there, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you've got areas with no batting, you may want to take it out and start over.
    You'll get it..it takes practice and stitch in the ditch isn't really easy to do either.
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

There is a spray you can use on your next one. You spray it on your back and lay the batting on it, smooth it out then spray the batting then place your quilt top on top of that. It washes out but it helps keep everything in place. I agree without a picture it would be hard to tell. But this is your first one and we are not perfect so if it’s not a lot I would let it go. I have OCD so I would have to take it out. Can you put a picture up of it?
      Ginger snaps :icon_wave:

Comment

Thanks...I will post a picture tonight when I get home from work....I do have a walking foot / should have used it (never had one before). I have used the spray basting / love it but have the pins too. Think my problem was....I chose not to 'bind' it and instead put down batting, backing, quilt top, sewed around (leaving a little place to flip it right side out). Thought this might be ok with a baby quilt / know it will never work with a larger quilt. I'm pondering on taking out the stitching....won't that leave big holes though?
        ~ Debby

It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive. It's MY LIFE!"

Jon Bon Jovi

Comment

Ahhh. You sewed them all together, and then turned them right side out, and now want to quilt it.
          That is going to be hard unless you just tack or tie it in places. There isn't anywhere for the excess fabric to scoot too when you quilt it the regular way. You will get wrinkles and bunches since the edges are all sewn together.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Exactly....I've 'tacked' before in the corners where all the pieces meet w/embroidery thread. You think i will have some really big holes if I rip out all the stitching? :-( the thoughts of it makes me ill.
            ~ Debby

Jon Bon Jovi

Comment

I have a matching baby boy one to do now (she's having twins).....so I will flip it / but NOT quilt it. Guess I will 'unquilt' the 'girl' one. You all think that will be ok?
              ~ Debby

Jon Bon Jovi

Comment

Instead of tying you could use buttons. I have seen some really cute ones on Pinterest.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I've seen that / yes....will be pondering on it all. Thanks to all for your suggestions....and YES, I've learned my lesson. I'll post a 'before' and 'after' when I get done. Check out the Gallery for my pictures....I'm a long ago sewer and new to quilting. I do LOVE it though.
                  ~ Debby

Jon Bon Jovi

Comment

Our hospital will not accept baby quilts that are tied or have buttons. Little folks have the habit of picking off ties or buttons and can swallow them. I would ask the mothertobe how she feels. I have made several of Jenny's Zigzag table runner and quilted them after turnning. I used the spray and really smoothed the sandwich together.
                    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                    Hillary Clinton

Comment

I agree with the no buttons, but you could "tie it" on your machine, just by sewing one stitch back in forth several times. Tack it down by machine, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by cathym View Post
                        I agree with the no buttons, but you could "tie it" on your machine, just by sewing one stitch back in forth several times. Tack it down by machine, in other words.
                        That is a great idea. I am going to try it.
                        "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                        Hillary Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by DebbyDE3 View Post
                          Thanks...I will post a picture tonight when I get home from work....I do have a walking foot / should have used it (never had one before). I have used the spray basting / love it but have the pins too. Think my problem was....I chose not to 'bind' it and instead put down batting, backing, quilt top, sewed around (leaving a little place to flip it right side out). Thought this might be ok with a baby quilt / know it will never work with a larger quilt. I'm pondering on taking out the stitching....won't that leave big holes though?
                          Taking out the stitching will leave holes, but they will disappear when the quilt is washed. I agree with the idea of machine tacking it instead of tying.

Comment

I did a twin sized quilt for my grandson, used the 'pillow case' method. The quilt had 10" squares and sashing with blocks. I just quilted within each square but not over the sashing/blocks. I used spray basting and did not have any bunching. I did edge stitch all around the outside so the sashing on the outside of the 10" blocks ended up looking like a border. I would not try this on anything larger though. I like the button idea too, have seen some cute quilts that way.

Comment

Thanks to everyone. I'll post pictures here and in the Gallery shortly. I DID rip out all the stitching and really steam ironed it / no holes, I mean you really have to be up close and personal. I like the tacking idea via machine. I have finished the girl quilt, the boy quilt is ready to sew and flip, then will be ready for tacklng of some sort. I like the button idea as well but agree about the little ones picking at them, however will keep that in mind for other small quilts / wall hangings / table runners I will do. Next up...the jelly roll bag for my 13 yr old granddaughter who is 'in' to dancing and has 'stuff' to carry around. Thanks again!! Happy I have found the forum.
                              ~ Debby

Jon Bon Jovi

Comment

Working...
                              X