Applique Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applique Question

When you are making an applique piece., do you stitch on one piece at a time? In other words if you are making a flower,do you sew the leaf on, then sew petals of flower, then center? Can the flower leafs, petals then center be glued in place then sewn on later? Just need little advice here as I am just learning applique. Thanks for your help.

Re: Applique Question

yes they can all be applied at the same time, but when you stitch them down stitch the under items first if the are overlapping , like the stem of the flower and then the flower would stitch on top,

Comment

When I applique I fuse the whole picture down and I work from the "background. So in this piece

Mugrug summer swap 2013.jpg

the farthest back is the red on the chicken. Then the body, eggs, and grass. I work it like a land scape.

This is my way so I hope it helped a little

Idnanny said the same thing. Took to long to type. lol

Oh and sew down in the same order.
      Last edited by Hulamoon; March 17, 2014, 07:06 AM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        When I applique I fuse the whole picture down and I work from the "background. So in this piece

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71092[/ATTACH]

the farthest back is the red on the chicken. Then the body, eggs, and grass. I work it like a land scape.

This is my way so I hope it helped a little

Idnanny said the same thing. Took to long to type. lol

Oh and sew down in the same order.
        Has anyone else noticed that Lorie keeps trying to tell us she likes chickens??????????

BTW I LOVE this design!!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Lorie I too love the design. When I applique I do the same thing. I fuse everything down according to the pattern and then start out and work down to the bottom stopping ever so often and pull my threads through and tie them off so they don't get tangled in the back.

Comment

If I am making a multi-layerd piece like a flower, I make it on a piece of parchment paper first, fuse it all together, then fuse it as one big piece to my background, then sew around all raw edges.

I use a satin stitch when I applique, and I do not like to put applique pieces on top of already stitched pieces, unless it is just un avoidable.
            Cathryn

Comment

Thank you all for the help. that is just what I needed. now will start my flowers into basket. I will be and stitching to background fabric. I need to play around with satin stitch on practice first.

Comment

lol Sandy. Yea still like chicky's. I wish I could find the magazine I got the idea from. It's hiding somewhere. Maybe the hen house. lol

Thanks Lynne, she was fun to make.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I use the parchment paper too. It's just the standard kind you can find in the grocery store. If you need a placement guide for intricate designs, you can slip it under the parchment and see where the pieces need to go.
                  Once the fabric is cool, it peels right off and you can iron it to your background.
                  The paper is reusable and I store mine wrapped around the roll of fusible webbing.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                  X