Shape Cut Plus ruler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shape Cut Plus ruler

The thing I like least is cutting out a quilt. I try very hard to get it right but my strips always have a slight bend at the fold. I square my fabric and use a 6x24ruler. I don't have trouble with the ruler slipping. I saw the Shape Cut Plus ruler and it looked like it might help because you don't need to move so often. Do you think using one would solve my problem? I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to work for me they are expensive.

Re: Shape Cut Plus ruler

I had to look that up. I have the smaller one. You will still need to know how to fold your fabric. I have used it to cut and I do like it for cutting charms.

I like using my 6 X 24 ruler for cutting strips. I use a suction cup holder which helps hold it still. When I fold my fabric I get it as even as possible at the top, but, I line my ruler on the fold. If the fold is even on the ruler I will not get the elbows.
    Vonnie

Comment

I, like you, hated cutting out fabrics because my ruler would slide and I would end up with uneven strips and then blocks. I started buying precuts, but that can be expensive, plus the pinked edges drove me nuts.

I finally bought a Shape Cut Plus and as corny as this sounds, it was a life changer. It doesn't slide around and I can cut strips and then squares if needed and they're all uniform. It decreased my cutting time considerably.

Definitely worth it in my opinion and if I had to do it over again, I would buy another one.

Comment

Also this might be helpful in learning how to square up your fabric prior to cutting in order to eliminate the bend at the fold

How to Square Up Your Fabric

Comment

I finally bought a Shape Cut Plus and as corny as this sounds, it was a life changer.

I agree-this ruler makes cutting so much easier. I not longer dread cutting long strips, squares are a snap and everything is straight as long as I fold well. Of all my rulers and notions, this is one that I would buy again. I have two and suggest you get the bigger ruler.

I use little colored pieces of tape on the lines that I want to cut when I do strips for jelly roll quilts. This way I don't have to think about where to cut.

Comment

I bought one too after reading about it. It's BRILLIANT and although I've only had it a couple of weeks, I would never go back to just my ruler now. It's made a huge difference to my cutting.
            I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
            Lorraine

Comment

I love mine too and use it all the time. I use it with a small rotary cutter (28mm) and it works wonderfully!
              Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Annie,

You might want to try a tool called a Quilter's Slidelock. You can see it at quiltersslidelock.com. It is a little difficult to explain and would probably be easier for you to see it on their website. I too had a problem with my ruler slipping. I bought the larger one of these (it comes in two sizes) and I just love it. It has improved my cutting so much and I no longer have the slipping problem. Just thought you may want to check it out. Good luck!

Comment

I love, love LOVE my Shape Cut Plus. I was having a horrible time getting clean, accurate cuts until I got mine. Now, cutting is the easiest part of making a quilt! I was having a small problem staying in the groove at first. I added some of those little clear nonslip dots on the bottom. It raises my SCP up just a bit, increasing the depth of the groove in the process. That seems to help keep me where I need to be. I almost bought a second one yesterday, just to have a backup. Couldn't make quilts without it!

Comment

I have the Shape Cut Plus ruler and love it. I can't say whether or not it will help you, but it really helps me when cutting strips. My problem with the 6x24 inch ruler is that it slides around all the time.
                    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I love my shape-cut ruler. It's the only way to go for cutting strips as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommend it.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I had the same problem, no matter how careful I was in folding, measuring twice, my strips were off. I bought the shape cut and it worked so well that I also bought the big shape cut plus. That is a giant and is pricey but I used a Joann's coupon . Did have to order on-line since my Joann's didn't carry it. Best buys I've made.

Comment

Love it, just watch for a 40% or 50% Joann's coupon and if you get on of the 20% total purchase like I was able to, makes it very affordable.
                          sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Love the Shape Cut Plus. I use it all the time. Get it with a coupon.

Tip: If you're having trouble with your 6" x 24" ruler moving, try a piece or two of the rubberized shelf liner underneath the ruler. The ruler will not budge. Of course, you have to lift the ruler to move on to the next piece rather than sliding it over, but it truly works for holding the ruler in place. I even use a small square under the Shape Cut.

Comment

I took a class and the teacher requested we all have our own Shape Cut Plus. The cost is high but I am so glad I made the purchase. I can honestly say it's the one quilting tool I cannot do without. I had to purchase from my local quilt shop because Joann's doesn't carry the "Plus". I have found if I get careless and don't fold my fabric correctly I end up with "elbows".
                              Robin
                              My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

Working...
                              X