Add Border after Quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add Border after Quilting

I am only a beginner quilter so please don't laugh at my question. I am going to be making a large 7' 6" by 7'6" quilt and I want to machine quilt it on my home machine. I have quilted both stippled and stitch in the ditch smaller quilts and although difficult pushing them through my machine (Janome 3160 QDC), I was able to do a fair job. As this is a much bigger quilt, I was wondering if I could firstly just quilt the main part (i.e. the pieced bits) and then add the sash and border after. This would cut down the amount of material I would have to push through the machine throat. I would want to quilt the border (I think). I have watched several tutorials on joining machine quilted blocks with sashing and think that it might work for a border. I would really love some help. This will be the first quilt that I have ever made for someone outside my family group so I am very nervous.

Re: Add Border after Quilting

I'm not sure that the borders would go on very good after the middle is quilted. I've never heard of anyone doing it but someone else may come here and give you better advice than I can. If you have a larger quilt, you can work on 1/4 of it at a time and just keep turning it, then there isn't too much bulk to work with. Also, if you roll your quilt on the right hand side, it will keep the bulkiness down a bit too.
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

It's a very good question... Marti Michel (? Sp) has an entire book called Machine Quilting in Sections, and craftsy.com has an entire course on how you can do just that. It makes quilting on your home sewing machine a lot more do-able. Let us know about your success!

Comment

Yes, you can do that. There are various methods of "Quilt as You GO" (QAYG). This is one method - she shows how to join the blocks and then puts on the borders towards the end of the video.
        How to join up Quilt as you Go blocks and borders - Quilting Tips & Techniques 074 - YouTube

Comment

I was able to add to a quilt after I finished it and bound it by using a quilt as you go method. Mi made the quilt for a client and when she got it home, it wasn't long enough (she didn't tell me she wanted a pillow tuck).

I removed the binding just in the area I needed to add to, and added 2 more rows that were meander quilted before adding. Then added them to the original quilt. You can't really tell it was added.image.jpg

The original quilt had been laundered, so it looks slightly different, however after relaundering the quilt after I added the rows, it's not noticeable at all.
          "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

This is an interesting qayg series. This is the fourth part that is the border. I'm going to watch the others as soon as this lame movie is over. lol

Quilt As You Go - Joining Borders to Quilted Blocks Part 4 of 4 - YouTube

And it wasn't a dumb question
            Last edited by Hulamoon; March 16, 2014, 01:41 AM.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
              And it wasn't a dumb question
              I agree!

I remember one method where the top was completely pieced but the batting was added in sections. For example, cutting the batting into thirds, and inserting just the center strip between the top and backing. Quilt the center, then join the batting on the side. There are heat press batting strips you can use to join the batting together: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ite-34-x-10yds
              I have not tried this method yet.

Please let us know which method you used and tell us how it went. We learn from each other here on the forum.
              Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                I agree!

I remember one method where the top was completely pieced but the batting was added in sections. For example, cutting the batting into thirds, and inserting just the center strip between the top and backing. Quilt the center, then join the batting on the side.
                This is interesting. thanks for the idea Vonnie.

I just made my very first quilt- 'just a twin' but I was concerned about it fitting in my little machine to quilt it. I made it in two halves, quilted each half (just 'in the ditch' for my first quilt!) then trimmed the center batting and joined the two fronts with machine stitching the straight seam allowance. Turned it over, ironed the over lap fold and hand stitched the back join. I then added the front side borders ( I had cut the batting and batting larger to include this). I think adding borders after a perfectly good idea.

Comment

I will be interested in seeing how your quilt turns out. I never thought about joining the borders after I quilted everything else. But I guess it could work using the quilt as you go method. Then you can add a border design if you wish as well, because you won't have to put the whole quilt under the machine, just the border. I would just make sure to square and trim up your main quilt before you add your borders though.
                  My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Thanks for this link. I have now watched all parts and I am feeling a bit more confident.

Comment

Your welcome I actually have to add a border to a baby quilt that's quilted already and I'm going to use it. I don't know what I was thinking when I left it out. I'm so happy that there is an answer to most things
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I agree it is very important to measure and square up the middle and then measure the borders and cut to that measurement. Just sewing borders on and then cutting off sometimes makes a wavy border from stretch in the wrong place. My friend who long arm quilts says it is one of the frustrating things she has to deal with. I have done that but not any more!

Comment

I have had to do this several times and it can be done quite easily.

I have also chosen to do it before I had my wide throat machine. Here is how to do it if you PLAN it in advance.

Make the centre of the quilt, bat it and back it with backing much bigger. Your backing needs to be as big as the finished quilt plus the usual extra. Then quilt away. The backing does not add much bulk and can be rolled and pinned with safety pins while you quilt. Do not quilt to the very edge, leave yourself a couple of inches.

Once you have finished quilting the centre, make your border. Sew it to the front of the quilt. You will sew through the quilt top and the batting, leaving the back rolled out of the way. Add a strip of batting to the back of the border and the backing will roll out to the edge perfectly. (am I explaining this right?) .

You can quilt each side as you assemble but if you do that leave about three inches at each corner until the next border is on. then you quilt all the corners at the end.

The way I have explained this is very laborious but trust me it is pretty quick and easy enough, I was just trying to get the detail in. When I go this I tend to use very simple quilting on the boarder.

There is another way which I actually really like as it gives a fraction extra weight to the borders which can look, feel and hang great.

Do as above with the backing, rolling it up and keeping out of the way.

Next, make your border batt and back it, placing the batting and back about 1/2" from the edge you will attach to the quilt. Quilt the border. Then attach to the quilt as above and roll to backing out. Do a little additional quilting, maybe just a row or two of stitch in the ditch to keep the batting in place.

Good luck.
                          Last edited by Divine Daisy; March 18, 2014, 05:17 AM.
                          Blog
                          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                          X