Please someone reassure me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please someone reassure me

I am sure you're all tired of hearing this but Tuesday or Wednesday I am ordering the Brother PC-420 sewing machine. So today I am finishing up the binding on my Phoebe's Flower Box (finally). I understand that going through all those layers, especially on the corners is tough on a lot of lower end machines. My current one is from Walmart years ago, a Brother XR-65T. Well since I started quilting the one thing that has really been trying on my patience is the tension. I have adjusted it over and over on different thicknesses. The same result, wonky uneven stitches. I even tried doing a tight zigzag on a test piece and there was a definite pattern of 1/4" of stitches being one size and 3/4" another size. This was constant. So any kind of zigzag on the binding was out of the question. I did straight stitch with a walking foot, took the weight off the quilt, and used gloves to help feed it while letting the walking foot do the work. Still tension issues. Now all I can hope for is that the wash/dry cycle will help hide these stitches.

So here is, after my long-winded whining, my question. Can someone please reassure me that I can expect better with the new machine? It is on the lower end of Brothers but not bottom. I haven't heard of anyone having this issue with this machine and I guess I am just nervous that I am going to end up with the same issues. The only thing this machine doesn't have is automatic tension. I am so disappointed in my old machine.

I don't want to buy anything that I can't pay cash for so higher end machine are out. I don't want another credit bill. Anyone with this machine, were you happy with the stitch quality of the straight stitch? The only thing people complained about was the limited fonts and font sizes. They also said that any stitches you create can have problems with the quality of the stitch. It makes sense. I do want to use other stitches besides straight and with 294 preprogrammed stitches I don't need to create any.

Tell me I am being paranoid.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: Please someone reassure me

SewBee said she had 2 of these machines. Go look at her quilt in her albums and see what she can do on them. She won the first Iron Quilter contest.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

You are being paranoid :-)

Seriously, no need to borrow worries! You don't even have the machine yet. It has gotten awesome reviews.

You have Amazon's 30 day return policy if you do not like the machine.

There is no such thing as the ONE perfect machine, every machine has it's positives and negatives. You have given this such thorough, careful thought.

Give it a chance!
      Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
        You are being paranoid :-)

Seriously, no need to borrow worries! You don't even have the machine yet. It has gotten awesome reviews.

You have Amazon's 30 day return policy if you do not like the machine.

There is no such thing as the ONE perfect machine, every machine has it's positives and negatives. You have given this such thorough, careful thought.

Give it a chance!
        I did it! Bought it a few days early to make sure I get it. With my luck I'd wait until Wednesday to buy it and the price would go up or it would be unavailable. Bought a bunch of accessories too. So decision is final. I will have it Tuesday. Won't open it until Friday though.
        Hugs,
        Joanne

Comment

Dear Joanne,
          Hope my experience will provide some reassurance to you. When I started quilting, all I had was a basic Brother machine (bought in 2007 for $99 at a WalMart). I made my first four quilts - piecing, quilting, binding and all on it without the benefit of a walking foot. They had some issues but they were all appreciated and well-received.
          Any improvement in the quality of your tools, combined with your experience so far can only improve the outcome. I am sure you will do just fine.
          P.S. Just in case you are curious you can check the quality of my first four quilts over here.
          Sew Preeti Quilts: Quilts 2013

Hugs.
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
            Dear Joanne,
            Hope my experience will provide some reassurance to you. When I started quilting, all I had was a basic Brother machine (bought in 2007 for $99 at a WalMart). I made my first four quilts - piecing, quilting, binding and all on it without the benefit of a walking foot. They had some issues but they were all appreciated and well-received.
            Any improvement in the quality of your tools, combined with your experience so far can only improve the outcome. I am sure you will do just fine.
            P.S. Just in case you are curious you can check the quality of my first four quilts over here.
            Sew Preeti Quilts: Quilts 2013

Hugs.
            Preeti, thank you so much. I've your blog. I have been there before and find a lot of inspiration. I have to ask, on your first quilt, how did you get such perfect corners? I sewed my binding on and when I got to the corners I created a 45 degree angle and folded it back over itself to sew in the other direction. The when that was done I flipped it around to the other side and sewed but my corners are not straight. Do you have a tutorial that you followed? I could use the help.
            Hugs,
            Joanne

Comment

The Ultimate Quilt Binding Tutorial | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials

This is a link to Jenny's tutorial on binding......at 6 - 7 minutes is the best trick for those corners!
              ~Kathy~

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                Preeti, thank you so much. I've your blog. I have been there before and find a lot of inspiration. I have to ask, on your first quilt, how did you get such perfect corners? I sewed my binding on and when I got to the corners I created a 45 degree angle and folded it back over itself to sew in the other direction. The when that was done I flipped it around to the other side and sewed but my corners are not straight. Do you have a tutorial that you followed? I could use the help.
                Dear Joanne,
                You are a sweetheart. The truth is this - my first quilt was wonky. Yes it was not square. It just looks good in the pictures. When I confided in my friend Pat about the wonkiness, she said "Oh, don't you worry. The baby is going to puke on it and it will get washed a hundred times. No one will notice." And that is a good perspective.
                1. I sew my binding on the front.
                2. I flip it to the back, iron it so that it lays flat,and hand baste it to make sure I cover the stitch line.
                3. I machine bind it from the front using SITD, very very slowly.
                ATTACH=CONFIG]71098[/ATTACH]
                Hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                Preeti
                http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X