Not sure about quilting this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about quilting this....

I've started another falling charms baby quilt. Everything I've done so far has either been meandering or straight line (mostly in the ditch, but I did do some straight line FMQ last week). I want to fill the blue and green areas on this one with waves or ripples...maybe bubbles. And then I want to do a seashell or fish in the center block. Having never done this before, I'm not sure if I should quilt in the ditch to define all the areas and THEN add the decorative quilting, or if the decorative quilting is enough. I'm thinking I want to do both...but that's a lot of work, and I don't want to go there if it's overkill.

What say you?
    Attached Files

Re: Not sure about quilting this....

I would skip SITD & do over all quilting. JCY

Comment

Did you get the Block magazine? In their picture of this quilt they had straight line rectangle/square type meandering quilting. Really nice.
      Vonnie

Comment

Interesting! No, I did not get Block. I'm kicking myself. I wonder if they will sell individual digital issues at some point? I would sure love to see that!

Comment

Originally posted by sassygranny View Post
          Interesting! No, I did not get Block. I'm kicking myself. I wonder if they will sell individual digital issues at some point? I would sure love to see that!
          They already are. Digital downloads are $4.99. Just search "magazine" on the store site.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Let's see if this link works: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/machinequilting

Not completely. Click the down arrow key on Choose Your Pattern.
            Click on squares under Modern/Stipple/Loops
            This is the quilt pattern they used on the Falling Charms quilt.
            Last edited by Vonnie; March 15, 2014, 07:15 PM.
            Vonnie

Comment

You might want to check out Leah Day' site. She has some great designs that you just mentioned. I took a class of hers on crafty.com. She did SITD using her FMQ foot around the block before she stitched in the block. I found that hard to keep my line straight, but you don't have to change feet that way either.
              My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Originally posted by Annav View Post
                You might want to check out Leah Day' site. She has some great designs that you just mentioned. I took a class of hers on crafty.com. She did SITD using her FMQ foot around the block before she stitched in the block. I found that hard to keep my line straight, but you don't have to change feet that way either.
                I agree with Annav. i just finished my 2nd project and was totally inspired by Leah Day and her online free video tutorials. I stitched in the ditch first-it seemed to hold the quilt together better, a baby quilt would not take that long to SITD would it? then each block I did a different FMQ pattern that suited the print. I used matching thread on each block so my mistakes were not so obvious! She has so many designs and shows you how to do them very clearly. Mine was not a gift- I must admit it was not perfect- but it was fun to do! Good luck.

Comment

Here is some additional information from Leah Day for FMQ: The Free Motion Quilting Project

Comment

Working...
                  X