Dear Wise Oldies: Concerned about shrinkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Wise Oldies: Concerned about shrinkage

I will be finishing my first queen quilt in a week or so. I took a class and made a sampler and now am sashing the sampler to make it a nice queen size with long enough sides so that DH and I don't have to fight over it. I'd like it about 92 X 98 or so. I use pillows so the length is not a problem and I've centered the sampler on the sashing so it is on the lower end of the center of the top. I'm concerned about the quilt shrinking since Jean's quilt shrunk and she knows what she is doing. If it can happen to Jean it can happen to anybody. I pre shrunk all my fabrics. Would it help to have my long armer do a bigger pattern? Is there any other thing I can do to prevent excess shrinking? How much bigger than the 92X 98 should I make it to account for the shrinking? I can add extra sashing now, so now is the time to address this. Thanks so much!

Re: Dear Wise Oldies: Concerned about shrinkage

Wow! Maybe Jean doesn't know what she is doing!

I am considering preshrinking my backing, maybe trying to preshrink batting, or not drying the quilt in the dryer. And that tiny stipple I think had something to do with my issues. What to do, what to do?

I am making the quilt a tad bigger also.

Comment

The closer together the quilting the more the fabric gets taken up by the quilting. You have prewashed your fabric so that will save you some, not doing a small stipple will save more. I would make the top a couple inches bigger all around to allow for what shrinkage you might have. If it doesn't shrink quite as much, it should still work out okay.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I am looking at the Hobbs package of batting I just bought. It says it will shrink unless prewashed about 5%. So I guess we must expect some shrinkage based on the batting itself. They say don't dry in the dryer. Dry it flat, and when it is almost dry, put it in the dryer for a few minutes to fluff it up.

I talked to a clerk at the LQS who is a quilter, this is how she. Dries hers. I'm being brave, testing out my Iron Quilter Butterfly quilt. I measured it, and am washing in cold water, will air dry it and fluff it in the dryer. I sure hope it doesn't shrink a lot because it barely fit the bed. We'll see what happens. I'll let you know!

Comment

Normal quilting (simple meander) will take up about 2 inches on your quilting. Micro quilting I've heard will take up to 4 inches. Keep your quilting pattern large to avoid shrinkage issues!

Comment

Originally posted by annoxyer View Post
            Normal quilting (simple meander) will take up about 2 inches on your quilting. Micro quilting I've heard will take up to 4 inches. Keep your quilting pattern large to avoid shrinkage issues!
            Thanks for that information! Very valuable!

Comment

I would never, ever put cotton in the tumble dryer and will only wash any quilts I make on a cool, quick wash.

We all know cotton is notorious for shrinking but tumble drying will exacerbate the problem. Too many of my PJ legs are now practically knee length because of this, lol.
              I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
              Lorraine

Comment

lol Lorraine.

I have some Quilters dream cotton batting in front of me. I haven't used it yet. It says DO NOT WASH BATTING. Wash quilt gently in cold water and may be dried on lowest heat setting.

So that was to confuse everyone more. lol
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Ok, I washed my IQ Butterfly in cold water, laid it out to dry, put it into the dryer for 10 minutes to fluff. I had 4.75% shrinkage doing it this way. That's what the batting package said would happen. I had quilted this with a meander about 3" apart. Luckily, it still looks Ok on the bed, but with no excess to spare. Hey, they have to get washed, so I'll just have to deal with it being a little short.

Comment

Thanks you guys! So I'll check with my DH - who dreams math and loves to figure these things out - how much to add to give me an extra 5-6 %. Then - when I do wash it, I'll wash in cold water short cycle and dry it flat till the last 10 minutes. I also think if the quilter can make the pattern 4"- 5" apart (she's doing a fun little fan-vine thing) that will help. I want it wide enough because I just hate waking up DH to give me more covers because I'm freezing with no quilt. Your ideas were all very helpful - as always! - Lilly

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                      Ok, I washed my IQ Butterfly in cold water, laid it out to dry, put it into the dryer for 10 minutes to fluff. I had 4.75% shrinkage doing it this way. That's what the batting package said would happen. I had quilted this with a meander about 3" apart. Luckily, it still looks Ok on the bed, but with no excess to spare. Hey, they have to get washed, so I'll just have to deal with it being a little short.
                      This has nothing to do with quilting. But I do this for my bath towels so I don't use up too much propane. I cut my bill in half since my dd and her bf moved out by not using the dryer
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Lilly, we solved that problem with two blankets. I am working on a design that will allow me to have two separate quilts that look like one when the bed is made.
                        I have to tuck the sheet under my arm & elbow to keep Hubby from taking them. He sleeps like an old-fashioned typewriter. He rolls over and takes the sheets/covers with him, then flops over on his back again and re-adjusts to take another portion with him when he rolls back to his side.
                        I can't begin to count the times I've jerked the covers back on a cold winter night! At least now I have a blanket to keep the chill off. The new hormonal "power surges" sometimes come in handy on these occasions too.

Good luck on the shrinkage computations!
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                        X