Quilting, what thread to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting, what thread to use

Any input on what kind of thread to use when quilting, and is embroidery thread to same as quilting thread?
    Maureen 

Re: Quilting, what thread to use

I think that whatever works for you - artistically, as well as practically - is what you should use. People have strong opinions about the thread content. You'll find opinions on any thread you might want to research. I'm currently playing with machine embroidery thread. I've used Floriani and Metro and like them both. But, I might not always want that sheen. So, I'm thinking about exploring a few other options. My machine seems a little fussy, so that's impacting the choices I make. That's the practical aspect of it. Try lots of things. You're sure to find a couple (or more) that you like.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the input, this is my first post and reply, I've been embroidering for a year now, Now I'm venturing out to quilting. I have a brother Quattro 2, love it, and my threads are by brother, love them to, and exquisite, That's what the shop owner sells. I guess I was asking was, should I use regular sewing thread, I'm doing You've got mail , love the look, and the tutorial Jenny does. I hope I can do it!
      Maureen 

Comment

For the piecing most people use cotton and some use polyester. For the quilting part of it once you have the batting and backing on you can use whatever you like. You can use cotton, polyester, rayon, metallic or whatever you like. You just need to remember you should match the needle size with the type of thread you are using. Superior threads has a great chart on their site that shows what size needle is needed for the different types of thread.

Comment

Be careful using rayon thread for piecing and/or quilting. It isn't as strong as a cotton, poly or cotton/poly blend. If you do the tug test on rayon thread most of the time you will find that it will break pretty easily. Could lead to broken threads in your piecing and quilting and probably not worth taking a chance with IMHO.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Working...
          X