• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuitarGramma
    replied
    Re: My Accidental Experiment with Shrinkage

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    It shrunk in width but not length? I would've expected the opposite. Learn something new every day!
    Hi Rebecca,

I never even thought to measure the length at all since one piece was a yard long and the other was two yards long.

But you intrigued me, so I've now measured the two lengths. Each of them are longer than what I paid for! So whether or not they shrank, M* gave my more than a yard as did the seller from whom I bought the two yard piece.

Finding this out has increased my gratitude toward both sellers (and you know I already loved M*). Gratitude is always a good feeling. Thanks for inspiring me!

Leave a comment:

• cathym
    replied

That's too bad, but interesting Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

It shrunk in width but not length? I would've expected the opposite. Learn something new every day!

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    started a topic My Accidental Experiment with Shrinkage

My Accidental Experiment with Shrinkage

From time to time here on the forum we talk about whether or not modern, good quality fabrics shrink. Well, I sort of accidentally found out the answer. Here is my story.

I purchased a layer cake of Billet Doux fabric from M* and, the next time Free Shipping was offered, I purchased a yard of companion fabric for the outer border. I also bought two nicely coordinating fabrics from Joann's for the inner borders. Because the Joann's fabric was a much looser weave, I decided to wash all three border fabrics.

Once the patchwork center was complete, I realized that the single yard of fabric was inadequate for my outer border so I ordered two more yards. This began my accidental experiment.

I held up the WOF of the washed yard to the WOF of the new, unwashed two yards. The difference was dramatic: the unwashed fabric was about two inches wider than the pre-washed fabric. So I washed the new fabric, dried it, and held the two WOFs together again. They were now the same width.

So the result of my accidental experiment showed a significant shrinkage in width, 2" off the original 42" width. Someday, when I get this quilt top finished, quilted, and laundered, I'll be able to report on how the unwashed layer cake holds up next to the pre-washed borders. That, too, will be an accidental experiment.
Working...
X