My Accidental Experiment with Shrinkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Accidental Experiment with Shrinkage

From time to time here on the forum we talk about whether or not modern, good quality fabrics shrink. Well, I sort of accidentally found out the answer. Here is my story.

I purchased a layer cake of Billet Doux fabric from M* and, the next time Free Shipping was offered, I purchased a yard of companion fabric for the outer border. I also bought two nicely coordinating fabrics from Joann's for the inner borders. Because the Joann's fabric was a much looser weave, I decided to wash all three border fabrics.

Once the patchwork center was complete, I realized that the single yard of fabric was inadequate for my outer border so I ordered two more yards. This began my accidental experiment.

I held up the WOF of the washed yard to the WOF of the new, unwashed two yards. The difference was dramatic: the unwashed fabric was about two inches wider than the pre-washed fabric. So I washed the new fabric, dried it, and held the two WOFs together again. They were now the same width.

So the result of my accidental experiment showed a significant shrinkage in width, 2" off the original 42" width. Someday, when I get this quilt top finished, quilted, and laundered, I'll be able to report on how the unwashed layer cake holds up next to the pre-washed borders. That, too, will be an accidental experiment.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Re: My Accidental Experiment with Shrinkage

It shrunk in width but not length? I would've expected the opposite. Learn something new every day!
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

That's too bad, but interesting Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
        It shrunk in width but not length? I would've expected the opposite. Learn something new every day!
        Hi Rebecca,

I never even thought to measure the length at all since one piece was a yard long and the other was two yards long.

But you intrigued me, so I've now measured the two lengths. Each of them are longer than what I paid for! So whether or not they shrank, M* gave my more than a yard as did the seller from whom I bought the two yard piece.

Finding this out has increased my gratitude toward both sellers (and you know I already loved M*). Gratitude is always a good feeling. Thanks for inspiring me!
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
        X