Online Fabric Shopping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Fabric Shopping question

So far I have only bought fabric in store but there is a fabric line I have seen online that none of the stores near me sell. So my question is how do you really know the tone colour of a fabric online? Are there sites that the pictures are more "true". I've noticed for the fabric I'm looking at, on one site in comparision to others, it looks washed out; now I'm not sure of the real colour. As I know the line/designer I can comparison shop for price but I am afraid that when it arrives I will be disappointed. What do you all do? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Online Fabric Shopping question

That is tough. Photography and computer monitors can vary so much. I'm having that problem with picking "reds" online. I'm going with in-person for those.
    I finally ordered a charm pack of flannels and basic prints from Connecting Threads just to have the true colors in front of me to match to pieces I had in my stash. (What charms were originally designed for!)
    I know some folks have the swatch books of Kona solids too. I heard a few of the gals in the quilt group have called to see which colors the prints most closely match.

I guess if you can't see it in person you are stuck either buying a charm pack to see all of the colors or buying a small piece with as many of the print colors in it and then buying from there. Or, you could just go with it no matter what the colors turnout to be. If you don't love it, someone will be thrilled to get it as a gift.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm afraid of buying on line. I've only bought one charm pack (from MSQC,actually) and it was for a baby quilt so I wasn't hoping to match. I like to have the fabric in hand and be able to walk around the store to find my matches.
      sigpicWHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Comment

Will they send samples of the fabric before you purchase it?

Comment

I have purchased fabric online and MOST of the time, it meets my expectations. However just today I went to the post office with a package of enough fabric to produce a complete queen sized quilt and spent 12.00 to return fat quarters and backing that appeared to be predominantly shades of navy and dark green. Reality was it was black and olive green. I even looked at 3 different websites to compare pictures of the bundle before ordering it. It is hard to get true color via the computer. Fortunately, online companies are pretty good about accepting returns, but it still doesn't eliminate the return fees. Now if you can still use the fabric as a stash addition, you eliminate the return costs, but as in this case, I could think of absolutely no use for an especially drab olive green!
          Judy

Comment

Some stores will send you a swatch of fabrics but you have to pay for it.
            Originally posted by nana7355 View Post
            Will they send samples of the fabric before you purchase it?
            Preeti
            http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I wonder what a better way of doing this is? Any ideas for how we can help make this amazing? We did start putting our solids between a solid black and a solid white to give perspective - Just making it easier to shop for fabric here at the Missouri Star

Any other ideas?

Comment

I've had good luck with the colors I see on the MSQC site and what I've bought. My only issue are the whites. There are so many different shades of white and if you happen to choose the wrong one, it just won't work.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

I like the suggestion of solids that would coordinate with charm packs. Thanks for what y'all are doing to make it easier to shop & quilt.
                  Peggy:icon_hug:

Comment

My only option is shopping online. I tend to play it safe and mainly only buy moda fabrics. The same designer fabric tend to coordinate. I also buy charm packs as a sample packs if I'm looking for a shade. Recently I ordered storybook charms... That's hard shades to match so I'm saving it til someone gets in the yardage. It's a strange grey and nothing in my stash matches

Comment

Sometimes when i order, I am ordering because i LOVE the fabric... as it is on my monitor and when i get it it is so much better than what is on my monitor that i'm happy. Now because i mainly order bright colors I don't have a problem when i order. I will not order solids from anyweb site because of the color variation. I figure i can go to Hobby Lobby or J's for that.
                      :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

Originally posted by BillNye View Post
                        I wonder what a better way of doing this is? Any ideas for how we can help make this amazing? We did start putting our solids between a solid black and a solid white to give perspective - Just making it easier to shop for fabric here at the Missouri Star

Any other ideas?
                        We thank you for doing that too! It does help.
                        It is hard to come up with color "match" program that will work for everybody and their monitors. Short of using the Pantone book & a CMYK scale, there isn't a universal color system for each color a designer chooses to use. Not everybody has a Kona solid swatch book either. If I see something online that I'd only want if the colors are exact, I'll try to find it in the store before I buy it.
                        It does help if the description lists "navy blue with forest green & cream paisley" then I know it's a dark blue & green instead of a black & olive deal like Judy wound up with.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Any other ideas?
                          Thanks for that. It does help some. Also there were some blogs done with coordinating fabrics. I realize you can't do this for every fabric you sell. I was pleased to see in the new "Block" book there were listings of the background fabrics used. The whites or creams are the most difficult I think.
                          Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Any other ideas?
                            A written description of the fabric since all monitors are different, for example, dark navy blue, true navy blue, light navy blue, lemon yellow, orangy yellow, buttercup yellow, or yellow with greenish undertones, yellow with orange undertones, bright true yellow. Written descriptions can make a huge difference. Also descriptions like saturated, muted, primary, etc. I wish I knew Michael Miller's Edges looked like it did. I wouldn't have ordered it then. It looked bright and saturated but I wouldn't call it saturated at all.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                            Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I wanted to bind my quilt with a Moda Bella Solid that I used in my quilt and of course couldn't remember the name of the exact shade I used (or where I originally purchased it). I tried but couldn't find the right shade online. Went to every quilt shop within a 50 mile drive and was unable to find an exact match, but the last store pulled out their Moda Bella Solids Color Chart (I'm so new at this, I didn't even know such a thing existed) - turns out it's a really obscure color that very few shops carry. But now I had the color name AND number and not only was I able to find it online (which of course in the pictures didn't look like the right shade), but found it in a Moda Bias Binding (so I don't have to cut the binding myself)!!! I'm going to see if it's possible to purchase a chart like that for myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X